forty five

*warning: foul and offensive language*

"what's with the smile? did something happen after the winter formal?" maya asks, as we walk down the hallway of the school together. "i did notice you being absent from your room all night." she adds, pretending to be in deep thought, as she looks to the distance.

i shake my head. "even if something did happen, it's a secret." i chuckled.

i stop by my locker, quickly putting in the combination while maya leans against the one next to me as she waited. she suddenly gasps, her hand flying over her mouth. "did you and ethan... you know..?"

i furrowed my eyebrows, confused at first. she rolls her eyes. "did you guys have sex for the first time?"

"maya!" i nudged her shoulder, my face flushed red. i stuffed my books into my locker, avoiding eye contact. why is everyone on that?

i guess she took that as a yes. "oh my god! you're so bad, devon!" she laughs. "i wouldn't be able to resist getting into a south siders pants too." she mutters unintentionally, looking into the distance. her eyes widen, surprised at what she just said. "did i just say that?"

i laughed, shrugging. "we didn't have sex, maya. you do know, there are other ways to show affection that doesn't involve... penetration."

she cringes. "why are you using big words?" she asks as i closed my locker. "just say sex." we began walking to class, side by side.

"i—" i'm cut off by a loud crashing noise from behind us. i abruptly turn around, maya as well.

my eyes widen, surprised, when i see clayton pinning sonny to the lockers by the collar, like he was ready to beat the shit out of him. clayton mutters something to sonny. he looked furious.

"clayton, what the fuck?" maya shouts, about to walk into the almost beginning fight when i grab her forearm, stopping her. i didn't want her getting hurt. clayton was so angry right now and if maya got in his way, who knows what he'd do.

ethan comes running in behind me, asking what was going on. i shrugged, before ethan went and pulled clayton off of sonny, no hesitation.

as clayton made eye contact with ethan, he stormed off just as the last bell had rung. i go to run after clayton, wanting to know what was wrong. if all of this is because of me, i'd like to know.

"hey! where are you going?" maya calls out for me. "we have econ right now!" she yells, pretending as if nothing had just happened.

i'm already half way down the hall when i reply, "i'll be right back!"

"what am i supposed to tell mr davis?" maya shouts but i ignore her anyway, because i know she's great at manipulating people when she sets her heart to it.

i see clayton run into the boys locker room and i follow cautiously. everyone was in class already, so there should be no one else in there besides him.

"wu!" just as i was about to open the boys locker room door, i hear a someone yell for me from down the hall.

"oh." i retract my hand from the door handle and stuff it in my jacket pocket quickly. "hey coach."

coach adams walks over to me, a confused look on his face. "going somewhere, devon?"

i chuckled nervously. "i... thought this was the girls locker room." i shrugged.

he nods, squinting his eyes. clearly he didn't believe me. "go to class."

"but, i–" i say, looking at the locker room door.