six

ethan's pov

"class, today i'm going to finally introduce the first home project of the year! maybe you and your partner can bond! i know how long you've been waiting for this, but the time has come." mr kim explains, walking into class. kids groan and complain as usual. "whine all you want! this is worth eighty percent of your grade!"

mr kim talks about the project, in which we have to research a college level chemistry experiment and demonstrate it to the entire class.

my phone vibrates on the desk and i look down at it. i open the message and it's from sonny.

sonny
some rumors going around that ur talking to a north side girl ?

me
nah she's just my chem partner

sonny
who is she

me
devon wu

sonny
oof good luck man. she just dumped her boyfriend. don't be a rebound

me
our friendship is platonic trust me

"hey, what should we research?" devon asks from beside me. i look up and mr kim is done talking. every pair is talking to one another about the project.

i shrugged, "let's look up some options."

she nods, pulling out her laptop from her bag. as she types in her password, i take in my surroundings looking at the people around us. they're staring pretty hard. i don't know if it's because of the drama surrounding devon right now, or the fact that she's associating herself with me.

she groans, scrolling through the list. "none of these interest me." she exclaims. "i'll do some more looking tonight." she says, looking at the clock to see we were almost out of time already.

"yeah. same." i tell her. although, i'm pretty sure i won't. there's a cool diner on the south side of town, and my friends and i always hang out there. we were going tonight, so i probably had no time for homework.

when the bell rings, devon excuses herself and leaves the classroom quick. i could tell she was worked up about something. maybe it's her breakup.

walking out of the classroom, sonny's already there waiting for me. "hey dude. you ready?" he says, as he leaned against the wall.

i nod and we walk together down the hallways of the crowded school. "damn. quinn darce got hot over the summer." sonny mumbles, loud enough for me to hear.

i shrugged, "i guess."

"what?" he laughs. we exit the school and walk toward my car. "she not your cup of tea?"

i shook my head, unlocking my car and jumping inside. "ever since the first day, she's been hopping on different guys. i like girls with more self respect than that."

he nods in agreement. "you right. she could be carrying something." he chuckles.

we go through the entire routine of picking up allie, dropping her off at home and chilling for a bit before going out to the diner.

when we pull up, there's already many cars parked outside. south siders jamming to music, and hanging with their friends and girlfriends.

"wow big turnout." sonny says from beside me. a text notification pops up on my phone asking if i could call. it's from devon. "ouu, problems with the miss?"

"it's probably just about the project." i exclaim, getting out of the car and pulling my phone out. sonny goes ahead, greeting some friends.

"hello?" i say, calling her.

"hey ethan, it's devon. i'm having a hard time finding something. have you started looking?" i mentally groan to myself. is the only thing this girl do, homework?

she yawns on the other line. i decided to tell her the truth. i'm sure she was listening to all the music and loud yelling from behind me, knowing i wasn't at home at all. "actually i haven't. i'm not home."

"oh." is all she says.

after thinking for a bit, i decided something. "hey, why don't you come hang out for a bit? get off your laptop and have fun. i could tell you're bored and tired. plus, it's senior year." i suggest.

i can basically hear her hesitation through the phone. devon was the queen bee of the school. everyone knew her, even every south sider.

"sure." but i knew she would say yes. she's been acting different lately. she even broke off relationships with the snobby people in her life.

i smirked, "cool. i'll text you the address."

LEMONADE

"you invited devon? bro, she's gonna get eaten alive." sonny exclaims. "not literally though, of course." he chuckles, laughing at his own mistake.

"yeah man, she's a north sider. don't you remember how mean she was to us freshmen year. how mean she was to you?" one of my friends, raymond, said.

i was getting bad memories, but i pushed them away. "whatever bro. she treats me like a charity case now. probably pities me because i'm poor. i just wanna show her how south siders actually are and then maybe she'll stop trying to fix me like i'm broken."

sonny pulls me aside from everyone, "you sure it's not cause you actually like the girl? cause it's totally okay if you do. i know how you used to feel about her." he says. "like, now that she's finally done with clayton, you feel like you have a chance? she rejected you hard before, man."

i shook my head, chuckling. "no dude. three years of constantly being looked down upon by her and her clique. i meant what i said back there."

he shrugged, "i'm just saying. if you like her, having a bunch of south siders verbally abuse her is not the way to go."

"they won't hurt her." i exclaim. "shes just hanging out." i shrugged.

"whatever man. if anything happens, it's on you." he finally says, walking back to the group.

i scoff to myself, "she's just hanging out." i mumbled under my breath.

not speaking for everyone but there are some south siders who're dangerous. involved in gangs, own weapons, abuse drugs, probably murder people.

besides, i wouldn't let anything happen to her despite what she's done to me. i'm not that kind of person.

END OF CHAPTER SIX

sorry i haven't been uploading. school is coming up and junior year is going to KICK my ass. i went from one AP class to three. i'm dead!

but wow i can't believe i've been on wattpad since eighth grade and now i'm going to eleventh. this shit is crazy.

see you later, PEACE