CH 30: The End Of An Era

Start from the beginning

Oh shit.

Lucy Parker Pov

My head spins rapidly, everything a foggy blur of green and brown. Black dots swirl at the edges of my vision as my ears ring. My back aches as all of my limbs start to register in my scrambled mind. I cough breathlessly, the rough sound mixing with another much deeper, angrier one sounding from just above me. 

I lift my head from the grassy forest floor in confusion, my vision finally focusing in on the rage-filled form standing over me primed to kill. My eyes widen as the pissed alpha snarls directly in my face, purposefully baring his canines to intimidate me. It kind of works. 

My limbs shake uselessly as I try to scramble backwards, away from the imposing beast, but they give out before I can make it even a metre. I flinch slightly as his growls grow both in ager and sheer force as he stalks closer to my crumpled form. 

Just as I'm accepting my fate as dogfood, a dark silhouette dashes in front of my vision, tackling the aggressive wolf to the ground and far away from me. Finally getting my wits together I clamber clumsily to my feet, turning to thank my hero as I start to run off. 

My eyes clash with theirs, a familiar glint of lighthearted mischief sparking within them. Tyler; She saved me.

"Thanks boo, I owe you!" I call behind me and hear her snort as I dash across the battlefield, aiming in no particular direction, just away. 

"Lucy! Lucy!" I spin awkwardly in place when I hear someone yelling my name above all the growling and snarling of the fight. 

I can't help but grin when my eyes land on my mate, Jay and Mia all waving at me frantically from the treeline. I sprint over quickly, taking in the odd items in their hands as I approach the worn-out but surprisingly cheery-looking bunch. 

"Fuck, am I glad to see you guys." I heave out, leaning against Xavier's side as I grin at my friends.

"Trust me- we're fucking elated to see you." Jay snorts.

"Are you ok? I need to get that girl a gift basket or something." My mate mutters in my ear, pulling me even closer against him by my waist. 

"Yeah, yeah I'm good. Wait, what do you mean?" I scrunch my eyebrows in confusion as I turn back to face Jay's goofy grin. 

"Congrats, you are the key to killing this asshole!" Mia cheers enthusiastically. 

"Huh?"

"Ok, I'll summarise for you," Xaviers grabs me by the shoulders and makes me face him, causing me to notice the dagger clutched in his right hand," This is gold, the only thing that can penetrate his skin, dipped in poison that will paralyse him. We will perform an incantation that will render him powerless in the magic department as well but don't worry about that you have a much more important job." He explains quickly, looking me in the eyes the whole time.

"Ok, ok, what's my job?" 

"As a sorcerer, his key weakness is his relatives, the people who share his blood are the only ones who can kill him. Evidently, he fucked up because he made you guys really powerful, on purpose, that's gonna sting when he realises. 

"So it's gotta be me who takes this bitch down?"

"Yeah that's the gist, take the blade from him and we'll handle the spell." Mia jumps in, practically shooing me away in her hurry. 

"OK, wish me luck." I joke lightly as I jog away and back into the battlefield, the dagger grasped tightly in my fist.

"You don't need luck, you're a fucking shapeshifter!" Jay calls after me and Mia hoots encouragingly in the distance.