Chapter 4

I stared at the mountain of papers I had to photocopy, the room was so small and cramped, all I could see were papers and photocopy machines, and a small table overflowing with more papers.

"I hate this place!" I yelled, but I don't think anyone heard me.

I won't start until I talk to Ben again. Why did he put me here? Do I look poor? Am I just a photocopy girl? Whatever it is, I won't start until they transfer me to another department.

"Your job is so simple and easy," he said with a smile that felt like an insult.

"You'll be photocopying hundreds of papers every day," Ben went to the shelf and returned with a book.

"What? Are you kidding me?" I asked, raising my eyebrows.

"No, I'm not," he insulted me again.

"I need to go. I have a lot of work. You can start now," he said before leaving his office, and I did the same. I avoided eye contact with him because I was just getting angrier.

I decided to take a walk around the company just to calm down and relax, but I still couldn't start photocopying. Almost everyone I saw was so busy they didn't even leave their seats.

After a while, I returned to the room and glared at the papers. I snapped a photo and posted it on Instagram with the caption, "Love those fucking papers." As I scrolled through my social media, I noticed a comment from Ben that read, "You must." That guy Ben is such a pain! He thinks I should love those damn papers, but he doesn't understand what a metaphor is. I don't actually like these damn papers!

I decided to delete the picture to avoid any further comments.

Neon lights, beers, music, and alcohol surrounded us at the Wine House. I was here with my best friend Katarina, whom I hadn't seen since high school because of her busy work schedule.

"So, how's your day, Jesse?" she asked as we took a sip of our beers.

"Don't worry about it. I don't want to talk about it. Cheers!" I replied.

"Hey, girl, take it easy. I won't be able to take you home if you get drunk."

"You're so funny! You were the one who got drunk last time and even threw up on my expensive clothes," I retorted, and Katarina covered my mouth with a tissue.

"Okay, Jesse, let's change the topic."

Katarina was easy to talk to, unlike last time when we came here, and she cried because her cat died. She ended up getting drunk and vomiting on my expensive clothes.

The door opened, and I was called back to the office. I was annoyed because I hadn't even started my work yet.

"So, where are the papers?" he asked as if he was demanding them from me.

"What do you mean?" I smiled to hide my nervousness.

He looked confused and furrowed his brow.

"Ah, the papers you were photocopying? The machines broke down, so they couldn't be copied," I tried to make an excuse.

I looked at him, but he took out his cellphone from his pocket.

"Oh, so they broke down?" he asked suspiciously, showing me a photo of Katarina and me at the bar last night.

I knew I was caught, so I had to come up with something quickly

I could feel the atmosphere change, and I looked into his angry eyes.

"Ms. Evans, you're lying. If you're not interested in your job, I'll tell your mom," he threatened.

I looked away from him, scared of his anger. Even his green eyes were terrifying. I always disappoint my mother, and I constantly give her headaches.

"Sorry," I mumbled, admitting that I didn't want to be there. But if my mother found out, I was dead.

A maintenance worker entered the office and said, "Sir Ben, the machine isn't broken."

I was dead. I wanted to jump off the Eiffel Tower in Paris. I was so embarrassed.

"Get out of my office now! All of you!" Ben yelled.

I don't know why he was so angry with me. Did I do something wrong?

Everyone was whispering about me, but I tried to ignore them. I was uncomfortable and on the verge of tears, but I had to hold them back.