Prologue.

Jesse's Room

Jesse sings along to every song and lyric, swaying his body and head. This song makes him feel relaxed and at ease. Every lyric frees his mind, but as he listens, tears flow uncontrollably, and he realizes he hasn't forgotten his painful past.

He stops the music and feels the pain come flooding back. "Damn this world," he mutters to himself. This song was their love song, and now it just brings him pain.

After three years, Jesse thought he had moved on, but every little detail from his past comes flooding back. He prepares himself to pick up Aya, James's sister, from her public school to go to an art exhibit. Though James has passed away, Aya and Jesse's connection remains strong, and they've become best friends.

"What should I wear?" Jesse asks himself. He settles on a pair of jeans and an oversized white shirt. He looks simple, but his beauty still shines through. He briefly admires himself in the mirror, satisfied with his look, and forces a smile.

At the art exhibit, there are fewer people than the previous year, so Aya and Jesse explore the paintings made by some of the Philippines' most renowned artists. Each painting has a unique meaning that only a few can understand.

One painting catches Jesse's attention, called Bad Angelic. It's a simple yet stunning painting of a woman with a face like an angel but with horns like a demon. Jesse intends to get closer, but the crowd makes it difficult, so he moves on to the other paintings.

Suddenly, Jesse's phone rings. "Excuse me, Aya, my mom is calling," he says, walking to a private place to answer the call.

"Mom, I'm busy right now," Jesse lies.

"Stop lying, Jesse. I know you," his mother says, causing him to roll his eyes.

"What the hell, Mom! I don't want to go on a date with anyone. Please stop setting me up," Jesse says, irritated.

Jesse's mother wants him to go on dates to help him forget his past, but he hates it. He planned to go to the art exhibit to avoid his mother's date.

"Your date is already there. Bye!" his mother says, hanging up.

"What!" Jesse quickly texts Aya, apologizing and saying he has to take care of something.

"Are you Jesse?" a man's voice asks, causing Jesse to look up.

"Yes, I am," Jesse says, observing the man from head to toe.

"I'm Henry," the man says, extending his hand, but Jesse avoids it.

"Are you the one my mom sent?" Jesse asks, ignoring Henry's presence.

"Yes, but I don't like my dad's plan either, so let's make a deal," Henry says, reaching for Jesse's hand once more.

"Good deal," Jesse says, shaking Henry's hand and smirking. It's a sign they're both in the same boat.