Chapter 3

Chapter 3 - Emerald Eyes

"Why are you like that, Jesse Darling? I didn't raise you to slap a man. I raised you to love a man," my mom scolded.

"Mom, it's not easy," I replied, feeling defeated.

"All the men you've dated have failed. Epic fail. Almost all of them gave up on you because of your attitude," she continued.

I didn't say anything. I was used to hearing the same thing after every failed relationship.

"And because of that, you will be assigned to work at Cyr's Company. All the papers are done, you're the only one missing," she said sternly.

"But Mom, I don't want to work there," I pleaded.

"I don't want to hear your 'don'ts'. Just do it," she ordered, dismissing me from her office.

My mom was a bitch. An old one. She and her controlling ways were suffocating me. I wanted to live alone, not work at that stupid Cyr's Company. I had heard that the boss was scary and arrogant. I took my phone out of my bag and called a Grab to pick me up. I was tired of it all.

"Kuya, can you adjust the aircon? It's so hot," I asked the driver.

As I sat in the bumper-to-bumper traffic, I searched for Cyr's Company and all its high-ranking staff and bosses. Their company had an impressive record of transactions. It was interesting.

Ben Howth Cyr, the son of Hector Cyr, the CEO of Cyr's Company, was hot and sexy in his tuxedo outfit with those wonderful green eyes. But I didn't trust him. He looked like a man who would deceive me, just like the other guys I had dated.

After I had slapped Henry, we never saw each other again, nor did he message me. My mom was furious with me, and that's why I was here, paying my debt by working at Cyr's Company.

I figured it was okay because at least my mom would stop setting me up on dates. I was tired of being her daughter. I loved her, but she was a super duper bitch.

It was dark outside, and it was raining really hard. I couldn't get out of the Grab because I didn't bring an umbrella. How could I put an umbrella in my Chanel bag? That would be so tacky.

The night before I started working at Cyr's Company, I had already packed my things. I brought my favorite bag and some other stuff. I wasn't into makeup or other beauty products. I just used lip tint instead.

I was sitting in the waiting room at Cyr's Company, bored out of my mind, staring at the clock. A woman called out, "Ms. Jesse Evans," and I stood up to follow her to the accounting area where people were busy typing away on their computers.

I didn't like the idea of being so busy. I hoped I could take a break soon. I looked at a woman's desk that was full of stacked files

She dropped a paper and I helped her pick it up, it was Ben's schedule.

"I might faint if I get assigned here. I'm not into paperwork, I'd rather spend my time eating and watching Netflix, but that's just a dream job. It seems impossible in a place like this where everyone is as busy as Japan," she thought to herself.

"Ms. Jesse, you're being summoned to Sir Ben's office," a man said.

"Okay, thank you," she replied with a smile.

She had already searched for Ben on Google and found all the information she needed. When she arrived at his office, it was very manly, with a masculine smell. Ben wasn't there, so she looked around and saw that everything was clean and organized. He had a bookshelf near his desk, and she approached it and picked up a book that looked familiar. It was about Greek mythology. She chuckled to herself, wondering how a manly person could enjoy reading that kind of book. She thought to herself, "Maybe he's gay."

Suddenly, someone took the book out of her hand, and she saw a tall shadow. She looked up and saw Ben's wonderful emerald eyes and lips that made her breathless.

"Why did you touch my things without my permission?" he asked.

She was taken aback by his voice and thought, "Things? It's just one book. I didn't touch anything else, duh."

"I'm sorry, Sir. I was just interested in this book," she said, returning her gaze to the book in his hands to break the eye contact. She was nervous and embarrassed.

"Ms. Evans, so you're the one your mom sent to work in our company. How lucky we are to have an Evans working for us," he said, approaching her and reducing the distance between them.

She stepped back to create some space between them and took a deep breath to gather her courage.

"Yes, I'm Jesse Evans. The reason I wanted to work here is simply because I wanted to, Sir," she lied, not wanting to reveal the real reason she was there.

He laughed at her response, and she wondered why. She thought, "Should I slap him like I did to Henry? Just kidding. My mom will scold me, and I don't want to end up in war if I do that again."