Four Roses

I wake up startled. Flashes of last night attack kept evading my dreams, torn limps, blood and the screams, but then there's him. Alexander covered in blood. He was there. He had saved me from those men.

I look at my bedside table wanting to have a drink of water to calm my heart and ease my mind, and I am surprised by the sight of a single red rose next to me. 

I smile at the sight. I knew nurses didn't preocuppied themselves with bringing flowers to their patients, so someone had to have brought it here on purpose. And for me. Could it have been Alexander? I smile at the thought. The rest of the day went by very uneventefully. I slept for most of the day and talked with my father. With all the medication I was on I slept for most of the time. The sun was already rising again when I wake up feeling more conscious then I did the day before. 

I wake up slowly with the feel of something being placed in my hand.

"Sleep." I hear someone say. I look to my hand and notice a red rose placed on it. I focus my eyes on the person next to me and immediately recognise him.

"They're from you." I say making him stop walking.

"Yes." he admits without turning to look at me. I smile at the rose and smell it, loving the sweet perfume it gave off.

"You were there." I tell him

"Where?" he asks turning to look at me, pretending not to know what I was talking about.

"You stopped those men."

"Don't think about it, ever." he says "None of those men will ever touch you again."

"I know." I agree knowing that he would never let anyone hurt me if he had anything to say about it.

"Whatever you think happened didn't happen. I wasn't there. I was at Carfax." he tries to convince me.

"No." I insits. He was there. He saved me. I know it and he knows it and I'm not going to let him try to convince me otherwise. "No, you were there."

He looks almost pained.

"I have to go." he says not really sounding like he wanted to do so but was forced to.

"Please... please, will you stay a little longer?" I ask him. I really didn't want to be alone right now.

"I can't." he says "You don't know how much I want to, but...I can't."

"Then will you came back?" I beg him "Please."

He doesn' say anything for a moment.

"I'll come tonight." he reassures me walking away from the room.

I look at the rose in my hand and place it next to the other one, on my bed side table. I stare at them for a while, admiring them and thinking about the man who had gave them to me. I remember everything now. My entire life as Ilona. I remember everything. And with this free time I find myself having, I managed to put some pieces together that didn't fit before. Alexander. The way he talks as if he's much older than he appears to be, the look he gets when he's with me, and then there is the mysterious substance I had found in Professor Van Helsing's things. They were all connected. I just had to fit in the last piece of the puzzle to make sense of it all.

I'm incredibly bored the rest of the morning, the only truly eventful thing that happens is when Lucy comes to visit me.

"Lucy..."

"Oh, God." she says approaching me with a big bouquet of flowers in her hand. "What have they done to you? How could they?" she asks distraut

"I don't know." I reply "I'm still so confused."