A Whiff of Sulfur (I)

A week passes and every night the dreams return. And in all of them I see him. In my dreams I know him as Vlad, a man I love more than anything in the world, some may say more than life itself. He is my husband. In my dreams that is.

And in all my dreams I love him, I kiss him and I fell things that make me wake in the middle of the night gasping for air, sweaty and with a fire in my belly that leaves me with a want I have never felt before. Never with Jonathan I have ever come close to feeling like this. Sometimes I feel guilty that I am having such dreams and thoughts but then again they are just thoughts, yet sometimes I question my sanity. I have not seen Mr. Grayson since his party and yet here I am dreaming of him every night. I haven't told anyone about my dreams, not even Lucy. My father would think I am mad, Lucy would think...well I know exactly what Lucy would think and Jonathan...poor Jonathan he would never understand. How could he, when not even I understand?

I have been so stressed lately with my physical exam approaching and I wasn't getting any better. I even manage to cut myself at one of the classes, much to my embarrassment.

I leave the university to go meet with Jonathan, and Lucy.

"Mina." Minerva calls out seeing me approach her table, where Jonathan was making her company.

"Hello, Minerva!" I compliment her with two kisses on the cheeks. She was Lucy's mother.

"My dear! Whatever happened?" she asks concerned noticing the bandage around my hand.

"It's nothing, really, just a little accident at university. I was practicing my surgical technique, and I managed to cut myself to ribbons." I explain "Silly. At any rate, it did give me a chance to brush up on my suturing."

"Stitches?" Jonathan asks concerned looking at my hand

"Yes, I stitched it right up. Across the thumb at least..."

"Oh, good Lord, please stop. We have only just finished luncheon." Minerva begs with a nauseous look o her face. I giggle at her expression. People could be so sensitive some times.

"Mina, what kept you?" Lucy asks sitting next to me "I found my champion!" she announces to the table

"Only one?" her mother asks "Oh, don't tell me you put all three ribbons on one man again!"

"Why hedge when the outcome of the wager is certain?" she responds giggling "Shh! He's up! It's Alastair!"

"Of course." Jonathan says not very surprised, she has been after him for quite a few weeks now.

"His opponent is Daniel Davenport. The son of Lord Davenport and the reigning champion!" Minerva informs us

"Not for long." Lucy argues "Alastair is very motivated."

I wonder what she told him his reward would be if he won. I'm not really sure I want to know to be honest, if I know Lucy well that it mustn't have been something proper or lady like, as her mother likes to say.

We watch the match, but Alastair isn't doing very well.

"He's doing very well." Jonathan teases

"You are so mean." I say pushing his arm lightly

Alastair loses the match and Lucy looks disappointed.

"Well done." Jonathan says to Lucy as he claps. Those two really couldn't stop bickering with each other.

A man comes with the check and Jonathan makes motion to pay for it but Minerva stops him.

"Don't be ridiculous. This is my treat!" she announces taking the check from him 

"No, please..." Jonathan protest

"Absolutely not!" she insists putting the money on the platter for the servant to take. "I insist."

"Thank you, Madam." the servant replies before leaving

"Thank you Mrs Westenra."I say knowing Jonathan will be upset about this