The Devil's Waltz (II)

Lucy and I walk in together. Hand in hand.

There were a lot of people there already and everything looked beautiful. Lucy really did a wonderful job pulling all of this together.

"Back in a tick, darling." Lucy tells me before walking away to meet someone.

"Okay."

I smile and welcome the people around me, thanking them for coming.

"Hello Mina"

"Savoy! I am so glad you could come!" I say as I kiss his cheek

"Thank you for letting me cover the party for the newspaper" he says grateful

"Of course." 

"I was really sorry to hear about you and Jonathan." he says sadly

"We had different goals in life." I tell him "Now if you'll excuse me I have to go find my father."

I find my father not very far away from where I was talking to a few other men. 

"Mina, you look lovely." my father says when he sees me approaching.

"Thank you." I say kissing his cheek

"Gentleman, Mina here was the one who came up with the idea to find the funds to keep the hospital wing open." he says introducing me to the gentlemen he was talking with when I first saw him.

"Well I can't share all the credit really. All of this was only possible because of the tenacious work of Miss Lucy Westenra, and the incredible generosity of Mr. Grayson." I say kindly

"Yes, Mr.Grayson, I must make sure to thank him today." my father says looking around, probably trying to spot him in the crowd.

"I'm sure you will have more than enough opportunities to do so." I reassure him

I leave his side and make my way to where Lucy was.

"Well this party seems to be a success." I tell her squezzing her hand in excitment

"Yes, I think so too." she says happy "I just hope Mr. Grayson likes what we've done with the place." 

I look at her surprised. 

"He hasn't arrived?" I ask her confused.

"Mm-mm, no, not yet. He's still to arrive." she tells me 

That's odd. This is his home. Where could he possibly be? As me and Lucy mingle and talk with the guest, I felt the sudden urge to look up. And there he was walking down the stairs. Dressed as elegantly as ever, and catching the attention of the room without ever speaking a word. He starts making his way to us, and Lucy, noticing he was coming our way excuses herself and goes talk with Alaistar. 

"I apologize for being late." he says when he reaches me "I hope everything is as you wish, Miss Murray."

"Thank you so much, for everything." I tell him honestly

"Hmm." he says grabbing my hand "You look very lovely." he kisses my hand never once breaking eye contact and I smile pleased with the compliment, and feeling buterflies in my stomach.

"Thank you." I say  

"Mr. Grayson" Jayne Wetherby calls approaching us "May I have a word?"

"If you can excuse us Miss Murray" he says politely

"Of course" I say watching him lead Mrs. Wetherby to a less crowded enviroment. I feel a ping of jealousy when I see them together, yet I know it is not my business to feel like that, as Alexander is a single, very charming man, who can spend is time with any one of his choosing.

Feeling a little flustered I take the opportunity to catch some fresh air. I find a balcony that is mercifuly unoccupied and take the chance to breath in a few deep breaths.