Goblin Merchant Men (II)

"Mm." I stretch as I wake, feeling more rested than I deserve after last night. I look to my side and see Lucy is already awake "You're up."

"Thinking."

"Oh. "thinking."" I say making my best to sound shocked.

"I do think, you know, every so often."she says amused. I chuckle amused.

"And what are you thinking about?"surely she must have something on her mind that keeps her awake.

"You." she states "You inspire me to...I don't know, greater independence, I suppose." I smile but then I look at the light outside.

"What time is it?" it is way to bright to be early morning.

"2:00. We gave half the day to the night." I look at her shocked. No it could not be.

"2:00?" God this could not be happening.

"Mina, what is it?" I hurry out of bed

"I missed Professor Van Helsing's class."

~.~

"Willow bark to ease the pounding in your head." he says placing the glass on the desk in front of me "It tastes awful, but it will work wonders."

I reach for the glass.

"Thank you, professor." I take a long sip and I have to fight very hard with myself not to spit it all out. Oh God this is horrible. I fell a if I am drinking chalk and dirt.

"Miss Murray, am I wasting my time with you?"he asks watching me attentively.

I shake my head. No he isn't. I want to be here more than anyone.

"There are dreams we must fight for. If you want to advance beyond the boundaries
society has made for you, you must fight." he advises

"You're not wasting your time." I tell him hoping to persuade him "Give me a second chance, and I will prove it to you."

He doesn't say anything and I am starting to think I have manage to screw up my chance to become his assistant when he speaks.

"Return here tomorrow morning at 5:00 a.m. sharp. You will report to me as my assistant for the term."

I smile happy and grateful that he was willing to give me a second chance to redeem myself. He wasn't going to regret this. I will be the best assistant he has ever had before. I pick up my things and as I prepare myself to leave the room, I stop and turn around.

"Professor Van Helsing?" I call out making him look at me curiously. I bet he is wondering what I could possibly want now. "May I ask a question, of a personal note?"

"By all means Miss Murray" he consents perhaps a little bit suspicious.

"Do you believe people can be reborn and still keep the memories of their past lives?"I ask before I loose my nerve

"That's an odd question." he says as he pounders about the subject "Scientifically, there as never been enough proof that could sustain the claim of reincarnations, but... religiously many have claimed that the soul can be reincarnated until it's has fulfilled it's purpose on Earth." he explains "The idea itself is very romanticized, Plato himself believed that the universe is one soul divided into equal parts, each assigned to a star, and those who live a full and virtuous life return to their native star, while others return to Earth again and again until they find their true purpose."

"And what about the memories? Surely a new reincarnation would have a clean state?"Mina ponders

"We can only assume at this point, but in my personal opinion, I believe that for a person to retain the memories of a past life, then their death must have been truly violent. So violent that it left an imprint on the soul."

As he speaks that, it's like I can hear the screams and feel the flames around my body all over again. I shudder at the feeling.

"Miss Murray are you okay?" he asks concern

"Yes, I'm fine. Thank you Professor"

"May I ask where this sudden interest in past lives comes from?" he asks curious "It is quite unlike you."