Of Monsters and Men

I am ashamed to admit that I have been avoiding Alexander since the night of the party. I needed some time to think about everything and consider what I should do next. It hasn't exactly been working out.

On the other hand, Lucy has apparently made it her life mission to mention Alexander at least twice a day, making it very clear that she approves of the union. Even thought I keep remind her that there isn't one, to which she just smirk and respond with a simple "yet". And that's how we found ourselves dining at a restaurant one night, just the two of us, enjoying a lovely dinner. A man approached our table and entertained us with magic tricks with some cars. I was utterly fascinated by it. How on earth does he do that?

"A single playing card, folded elegantly down the center." he says showing us a card, the queen of diamonds to be exact "And torn into two pieces." he rips the card in front of us. "Shown on the front and the back." he says showing us the torn pieces " Now, watch very carefully, 'cause your eyes will deceive you." he advises as he unfolds the card in his hand and reveals to us a perfectly intact queen of diamonds.

I laugh at the revelation, completely fascinated.

"That's extraordinary."

"Yes. This Soup Julienne, is extraordinary." she says rudely sending the man away "So, I should have that and so should you, Mina."

I look at her with what I hope is a you misbehaved look.

"Look, I'm sorry, darling, but I don't know how you can enjoy something as simple-minded as parlor magic." she says clearly not interested in magic tricks.

"So, how's it done, then?" I ask her knowing full well she had no idea as well.

"It's simple, really."

No other then Alexander Grayson himself says appearing next to our table with a deck of cards in his hands.

"Why, Mr Grayson, you have a gift for making London seem small." Lucy teases while trying to conceal, although, not achieving, the smirk on her lips. She probably knew all along that he would be here tonight.

He smiles and then he turns his attention to me.

"Miss Murray, you're looking lovely tonight. As ever." he says and I can't help but smile at the compliment. Truth be told I had missed his company this last couple of days.

"Permit me to explain." he says picking up a card "The card is folded down the middle. And is torn, but not the whole way." he explains exemplifying it for us. I watch attentively. "It is folded back in itself, and you mime, tearing the card in half..."

"Good Heavens." I can't help but say as I watch him do it. It really did seemed as if he had torn the card in half.

"So it appears to be torn." I laugh at the sight "But really, it's still in one place. The rest is purely theater." he explains showing us the card intact.

"It's very good, isn't it, Lucy?" I ask turning to look at her

"Yes, quite." she says politely "Well, if you'll excuse me. I'll be right back." she says getting up and leaving the table.

"I didn't know you knew how do to magic" I say to Alexander with an amused smile.

"I picked it up in one of my many travels." he explains "Not much, just a trick or two."

"Well, it's extraordinary all the same" I reply

"I'm afraid I must leave you know, but before I go..." he says looking for someone "Winston. Please see to it that my friends get the very best. On my account."

"Oh we really can't accept...."

"I insist Mina" he says with one last smile before returning to his own table.