1 | COYOTE WOLF

NAYLAN

NAYLAN

     "Hey, Georgiou said that we had up until the river as our spot, right?" Maggie, a wolfdog we had picked up in our brief stay in Newfoundland, said as we walked about the clearing the younger mid-ranking wolves had made about a week ago. 

     "Though, I'm not sure if he meant from the south or from the north," she added, farrowing her thick brows as she poked at a hyperpigmented spot on her dark skin.

     "Yes,  he did say that, but I'm not sure what direction either," I said, squinting as I tried to remember what exactly I had been told. When I had told Georgiou I wanted to move to the outskirts of town, he had mentioned that although packs weren't there, solo coyote wolves or small families maintained some pockets of land, so I had to make sure not to edge into their territories if I didn't want to cause unnecessary conflict. 

     Aside from Maggie, there was Peyton, a black-furred wolf, and Lagasneire, a French-Canadian wolf from Quebec. There were also a few mixed breed mutts with us that were on the other side of the clearing to check the trees. We were planning to build a storage house here, and maybe a few cabins for watchdog wolves since it was closer to territories owned by coyotes. We've been living in the woods for close to five months now and living in it meant realizing other things we needed over time.

     We'd gotten tools and weapons from Georgiou's pack, and we had made an alliance with another pseudo pack up by the country club. The main river ran through their territory, as well. I was still figuring out the logistics of getting water tanks so transporting water wouldn't be difficult for us. The whole process of settling down was hard but I liked it. I had many wolves that I trusted to take up second and third in command roles, and even though we were all young, I knew that we had something great going on for us.

     In the main city, there was a lot of talk about the Nova Scotia wolf, me, running a 'proper' pack, and because of that our numbers grew by maybe a half of a hundred over the course of five months. The new members were mostly homeless people that claimed they could help us set up in the middle of nowhere by virtue of living by themselves for months, and in some cases maybe years. The pack was numbered at about two hundred and fifty now. To see us grow in number both excited and worried me. I had to take care of a lot of people, but it had always been my life mission, so it overjoyed me simultaneously.