15 | PICTURE PERFECT

MAVIS

     I had been getting along with Georgiou fine, and he went upstairs to make drinks with Naylan, I was forced to interact with his wife. The woman was quiet mostly, but she smiled at me with a familiarity that made me uncomfortable. I wondered if I had seen her before and she was recalling me, or, if she smiled at everyone like that—like they were part of her family.

     "You don't talk a lot, do you?" she said, taking her eyes away from me as he tapped the countertop of the kitchen island with the base of her fingers, I noticed how nicely manicured her nails were, and I wondered if the number of bangles she wore weighed down her skinny wrist.

     "You're not much of a talker, I see," she said, making me blink at her. I nodded, not wanting to say anything in reply, because then, she might try and carry the conversation, and I wasn't sure I was prepared for that level of awkwardness.

     Although her friendliness made me uncomfortable, she didn't trigger my instinct to be wary of wolves. I wondered why. I racked my brain for a bit, and suddenly, it came to me.

     My eyes grew wide, and my lips parted. "You—" I started but paused, wondering if it would be rude to comment on it.

     "I what?" she asked, her smile widening.

     "You don't have a wolf form," I said, licking my lips as I watched her for a reaction.

     She shrugged. "I don't. What about it?"

     "Are you part human?" I asked, not being able to keep my curiosity in check. "I'm sorry if it's rude to ask," I added, hoping that I wasn't getting on her nerves.

     "It's okay," she said. "Yes. I'm part human, so I'm a recessive werewolf," she said, smiling at me. "You look so shocked. There are a lot of us in the city. You know, that kind of happens when humans and werewolves mix," she said, and I nodded. That made a bit of sense.

     "Do you know your parents?" I asked.

     She raised a brow at me. "What?"

     "Sorry," I sighed, looking down at the counter as I licked my lips. "It's just that I'm part-wolf, and I never knew my dad, so I was wondering if it's just a thing for—" I paused, cringing at the word I was about to use. "Half-castes," I said, feeling bile in my throat. I hated that word. I hated it so much, and I hated that were-society had retained an outdated human racist term because they felt it was 'accurate.'