3 | IGNORED INSTINCTS

MAVIS

MAVIS

     He's a kid. I found myself thinking as I watched the young wolf in front of me gawk at me with his deep brown eyes. I squinted at him when my chest stirred with interest. He was pretty young-looking. Juvenile. He didn't look like he was more than twenty-three, and that was being generous.

     "Hey," I said, making him blink. "How old are you?"

     He looked a bit confused, but he answered my question anyway. "Twenty-one," he said, and I sucked in my lower lip, letting myself digest the information.

     "How old are you?" he asked me when I didn't say anything in response to his answer.

     I straighten out my stance, looking ahead of him and then back to him. "Twenty-six," I said, and he let out a small surprised sound before looking down at the floor with a frown.

     I smiled a little, noticing how cute he was being despite being a full blow alpha. I wondered if he was always like this, or if he was being gentle around me because I was his mate.

     Mate. My heart tugged at the thought of the word, and I remembered why Ah was here. I needed to sort things out with him.

     "Hey," I said, watching him look up at me. I filed my hands across my chest, letting myself take some deep breaths as I arranged my thoughts. "So, what are we going to do about this?" I asked, watching as he raised a brow at me.

     "About what, the bond?" he asked, and so rolled my eyes, nodding my head.

     "Yes. What else would I be talking about?" I said, letting out a sigh.

     "Listen, I'm a coyote wolf," I started saying. "Coyotes are mostly on their own, or they stay in small groups."

     "I know that," the young alpha said. "There are some coyote wolves in my pack."

     His pack.

     That was another thing I was interested in. I hadn't seen such a large diverse group of wolves moving around together. I've been tracking them from a distance, and I had put my estimate of their number around two hundred, they were maybe more. At first, I had been worried that the young wolf was planning to build some sort of caliphate or fractured wolf state, but they never expanded and remained within their limits.