01 - How To Lie

Chapter One: How to Lie

"I only act tough around others to convince myself that I am as strong as they believe I am."

"Goooooood Morning, Ouran Students! Welcome to another brilliant year at Ouran Academy! The Host Club will start its daily hosting this week. Also, if you see Haruhi Fujioka in the halls, make sure to act as welcoming as you can to the commoner - YES! A Commoner has gained acceptance into our prestigious Ouran Academy! That's all your announcements for today, live beautifully!' The voice boomed over the announcement speakers. 

I silently prayed that the early morning pep would quickly die out, or that daily announcements were in fact not daily.

I sighed, pulling my bag closer to me and fidgeting with the tips of my hair. Who cares about some commoner? I doubt they wanted the attention anyways. I know I'd be embarrassed if I was the centre of attention for the lack of money my family had. Although that would be a long shot, as my family is one of the wealthiest in Japan.

Classes hadn't even started yet, but for some reason, I felt as if I was being watched. I pulled my hair into a ponytail, the bangs flopping back into my face, as they were too short to fit. 

No eye contact meant no social interaction. With that in mind, I focused on setting up my workspace, allowing myself ample time to set up a canvas and prep my painting supplies for the class ahead.

This was the visual arts classroom and studio, a nice feat of engineering - it was enough to supply students for years to come, and those lucky enough to attend Ouran were too busy being petty to fully appreciate the tools in front of them. I sat on my stool, flipping through a French Impressionist Art textbook.

Not only was France my birthplace, but I had also a fascination for the art created there. It was something I studied and practised whenever I had a waking moment of freedom. Even though that was close to never, I somehow always found the time to practice. That's the kind of commitment I had to art. 

"Is that her?" I heard a girl ask, making my ears perk. "I heard she brought down the Suki Family business because they gave her lukewarm tea."

"I heard she had defeated Mori-senpai in a sparring match!"

"Impossible!" Another whispered. I tugged on my hair, trying to ignore the comments and rumours about me that had formed.

As the class started to fill with people, I noticed key figures: Two boys, looking to be twins. Oddly, they had orange hair, very vibrant orange.  And the third, a brunette boy who fidgeted in his outfit, as if it was still foreign to his person.

"Kage Antoinette, right?" I blinked, eyes still on the mysterious boy. "Um... Hikaru, I don't think she likes me very much." The voice said, waving his hand in my face.

"Remove your hand," I answered, "If you want to keep it." I heard a gasp as he both took a large step back.

"Hey, Kaoru, I found a new game to play." A copy of the voice said as I sighed. This was going to cause me trouble.

"You don't like the 'Which one is Hikaru' Game?" I'm assuming the one called Kaoru gasped,

"Of course I do, brother!" A few girls squealed from beside me, as I found myself increasingly annoyed.

I presumed these boys were doing something to catch my attention, so I didn't give them the pleasure. I still hadn't made eye contact with any of the speakers, but I didn't need to. Before I could comment, the commoner stood up.

"Would you two SHUT UP?!" He yelled, hitting the two twins on the head.

"Owwwww, Haruhi! You're so mean!" Both accused, I blinked, what exactly is going on?