1. The Washingtons

~Nyra~

I'm already dressed for school but I don't feel like actually going. It's going to be the same again this year as I start tenth grade. I don't bother looking in my mirror because I know what I will see, same thing as last year, same thing as the year before that: too big for my face brown eyes, light brown tanned skin, (the result of a bond between a Caucasian man and a black woman), kinky curly hair surrounding my head in a neat enough afro. At 5'7, I'm as skinny as skinny gets, enough to be considered malnourished. My dressing code resembles that of my brothers, stylish, big and utterly boyish, because that's how I've always viewed myself, as a boy. My mom says I'm going through a phase; identity crisis, as can be expected from any other sixteen year old girl raised among four boys. I try not to let it bother me too much, nobody in school gives me shit about my appearance.

"Ginger! We haven't got all day." My brother Dane shouts at me from downstairs. He's the rougher one of the twins, his twin Drew otherwise known as his (literally) better half. They're eighteen and in their senior year at Arthur Brooks High School, where we all go.
Though they are very much identical, their physical sense of style is nothing alike. Drew dresses in the latest fashion and has his long hair in dreadlocks that he holds in a front ponytail right above his face. Dane couldn't care less about what he wore and didn't concern himself with hair he considered a headache. As a result, he always had this rugged careless appearance about him that seemed to get him what was in most eighteen year olds minds: girls and sex. Even if I had all the time in the world, I couldn't begin to count how many girls I'd seen him with, which is beside the point 'cause it makes me sick.

Lucca is the luckiest sibling. The envied one, the one who had it all. At seventeen and in his junior year, he was already captain of his swim team, had good grades(we never hear the end of this from our parents as they keep fawning over him). He just had it all, it makes me want to hurl when I go into details about just how perfect he was. Emphasis on perfect.

There's me. Nothing remotely interesting goes on in my life.

Then there is Tyrese, the last Washington family member. Highschool Freshman. Next to me, he is the quiet one. His is quite simple; books, exercise and more books. That's his life. We barely ever acknowledge him, something which he weirdly appreciates. And like all nerds, he's a neat freak and basically an introvert.

"For chrissakes Ginger get down here!" I shake my head from my temporary brain haze and leave my room before Dane comes for me himself.
Apart from being the firstborn, a thing he openly cherishes and never fails to remind us all including his own twin, he is also my mortal nemesis. I could write a book about sibling rivalry with me and him as the lead characters. We argued over everything and anything.
I rush down the stairs with my backpack loosely hanging on one shoulder and find my brothers all at the door ready to leave but not without my mom harassing kisses out of each of them.
Everyone in my family and around the neighborhood call me Ginger, a name my dad fancied calling me as a child, though I look nothing like the bitter vegetable.
It stuck.

Mom eyes me as I make to walk past her with a simple 'morning mom.'

"uh-uh." she says. "Where's my kiss?"

I groan silently and turn to peck her cheek. She pulls me in for a hug and whispers in my ear, "be yourself honey, don't fight it."

I pull back and stare at her. What is she talking about?

"Today people!" Dane practically barks making us scatter out the house and into his grey Mercedes. His twin Drew just rolls his eyes and follows. He has his own car but prefers to drive with us, the unlucky last three who have to attain the legal age first before having cars of our own. He says it's something to do with putting up a united family front.
How sentimental. Sense the sarcasm.