Escape (part 2)

Ryder POV

This is the second time I've been able to actually talk to Chase, or any dog for that matter. I still can't believe he felt guilty after our fight. I'm the one that was a bad friend. Friends are supposed to help each other no matter what. I love Chase. I should've been a better friend. Man, this pup is freezing! I shuddered as I placed Zuma down.

Chase POV

After our reunion, I made my way ahead of Ryder and the others to make sure the coast was clear. Barking softly to Ryder, I let him know that everything was safe. Or at least it seemed that way. My senses were on high alert for anything, anything at all. There were no smells, other than Ryder, Marshall, Rocky and Zuma. There were no sounds, other than our paws/feet walking. It was all too weird.

Suddenly, the sound of a door knob made my ears perk. I stopped dead in my tracks, causing Ryder and Marshall to stop as well. "What is it, boy?" I quietly shushed him. The sound came from down the hall. The scent of a pup hit my nose, causing my heart to beat faster. I lunged forward and started running. "Chase! Wait! What's happening?" Ryder asked as he ran after me.

"Wait guys! We forgot  Zuma!" Marshall half yelled, placing the unconscious pup on his back..

"It's Skye!" Skye, I've missed you. Wait a minute... I skidded to a stop. What am I doing? Why do I feel so weird? Marshall didn't stop in time and slammed right into me, dropping Zuma. Ryder tripped over us and Rocky fell out of his hood. Rocky's limp body slid across the floor until it stopped in front of a door.

"Chase, do you like Skye?" Marshall asked with a grin on his face. Ryder too stared at me with the same grin. I blushed, but luckily it was too dark for them to see.

"N-no. It's just, s-she's all alone and I'm worried about her and the other pups." I stammered, still blushing. Their smiles faded as we heard Rocky groan and I ran to his side. "Rocky? Rocky wake up!" I said, nudging him. He was still cold.

Rocky POV

I slowly started to wake up, not remembering when I fell asleep. I felt something wet touching me and I panicked. "G-get away from me! P-please, no more w-water! No more!" I whimpered. I curled up into a ball and started crying. I heard someone running and suddenly I was lifted.

"Shhh, you're OK, everything is fine. You're safe now." I was shaking. You seem really nice. I stopped crying, but I was still shaking. "Are you still cold?" Shaking my head yes, the boy placed me into his hoodie. At first, I was confused, but then I realized how warm it was.

"W-where are we? W-what's going on?" I asked, still shaking.

"We're getting out of here. Do you know where Skye and Rubble are?" Chase asked. Shaking my head no, he sighed. He started sniffing around, but then he sighed again. "Ryder, how are we supposed to find them? I can't smell any of them, or any guards or anything!"

"Rocky, what's the last thing you remember?" Ryder asked me

"W-well..."

Flashback

"Tell us why you can talk!" I had been tortured for hours. They used a technique they called 'waterboarding'. It makes your body think it's drowning. It's awful.

"Please let me go! I don't know why!!" I heard him pick up another cup of water. "Please! NO! Don't-!"  It was no use. My face was covered with a washcloth. He poured the water over it and I went into panic mode. It really felt like I was drowning. I couldn't breathe. I couldn't take it anymore and I blacked out...

Ryder POV

The entire time Rocky was telling his flashback, I could feel him shake even more, his heart rate increasing after every chilling detail. A tear fell from my eye. No one should every go through that. He started crying again and I held him closer. Chase and Marshall were on the verge of tears. We were all sitting in the hallway completely silent. Hugging each other. Comforting each other. Like good friends would.

"We seriously need to get out of here," I said, standing up. Walking over to the door Chase was running to, I just opened it. I no longer cared. Whatever was on the other side, we would face together. Chase and Marshall looked at each other, nodded, and ran to stand guard in front of me and Rocky. Slowly, together, we walked into the dark room.

Marshall POV

Chase and I walked into the room, letting our eyes adjust. I could see a table directly in front of us, a chair to the side and "A window!" I ran towards it, only to be tackled. I let out a whimper but my muzzle was covered.

"Marshall?" Chase asked. I tried to cry out but whatever was holding me wouldn't let me go. I could see Chase nervously walking around. "Marshall, this isn't funny. Where are you?" Whoever tackled me flipped me over and started licking my face. Rubble. I pushed him off.

"Rubble? Why did you do that?" I asked, getting Chase's attention. Ryder finally came inside and turned on a light. The room looked relatively safe. Looking at Rubble, I could see a bruise on his side. "What did they do to you?"

"I don't want to talk about it, let's just get out of here!" he said. We looked at him confused. He seemed really fidgety and antsy. Not like the Rubble I grew up with. "Where's Skye?"

"We were hoping you would know," Ryder said. We all heard Chase let out a whimper, followed by blush on his face. "By the way, I haven't introduced myself to you guys, Rocky and Rubble. I'm Ryder."

"We know. Chase told us about you back at the shelter." Rubble said with Rocky nodding. Rocky licked Ryder's face making him giggle.

"OK, now that we all know each other, lets find the other pups!" Chase said. He and Marshall again went down the hall ahead of us, sniffing for any clues or danger. Here we go again...

Unknown POV

"They're more intelligent than we thought." Monitors showed the exact position of Ryder as he and the pups made their way through the corridors.

"Should we capture them, sir?"

"No. I want to see what their plan is."

"But sir, if they escape-"

"So be it." My guardsman looked at me confused. "Is there a problem?"

"Sir, I thought we were monitoring them for a specific reason."

"We are."

"Then, why allow them to escape? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of this operation?" Standing up from my chair, I walked over to my guardsman. I placed a hand on his shoulder, making him gulp.

"Trust me. It will all be worth it in the end." Turning back to the monitors, I sat back down. Stroking my chin, I pushed a button, causing the lights in the corridor to turn on.

Why don't we push your knowledge to its limits.