The Awakening (part 1)

Chase! Chase wake up! Someone help us! Help! Fire! Someone help us!! Chase...

I awoke with a start, whining as I felt pain rip through my body, causing me to collapse. What happened? I tried to remember, and then it hit me. 

Ryder.

I could see him lying on the floor, a wooden beam on top of him. The fire was getting closer to him.

Fire extinguisher.

I looked around, turning in circles, slightly whimpering since I was stepping on glass. I finally spotted it. I didn't know how I was going to use it, but I knew it was the only way to stop the fire. I jumped up to it and pulled it down with all my weight. It turned on and I grabbed the nozzle, pointing it at the fire. It was all around us. Ryder wasn't waking up. The fire finally started dying down. Limping, I walked over to Ryder, nuzzling him. I whimpered, and barked, trying to wake him up, but he wouldn't.

"Hello? Is anyone in here? I heard an explosion and wanted to make sure no one got hurt?" I slowly stood up and barked as loud as I could. "Is that a dog? Hello?" I barked again, louder. "Oh my god!" The woman found us. She ran over, and I defensively stood in front of Ryder, growling. 

"It's alright, puppy, I'm just trying to help." I stared at her with an intense look, and, somewhat reluctantly, stepped aside, keeping an eye on her. If you hurt him in any way, you'll pay, I thought. I heard ambulance sirens getting closer. When the ambulance came, the woman helped pick up Ryder and put him on a stretcher. I limped behind the paramedics headed to the ambulance. Suddenly, a sharp, intense pain hit my head. My vision blurred, and all I could hear was a high pitched ringing. I whined and barked in pain, struggling to stay conscious. Come on, Chase, you can do it. Keep going. But the pain was too intense, and I collapsed, pawing my head. Someone picked me up. I started barking frantically. I couldn't see anything, just a blur. I blacked out. Ryder...

***

A bright blinding light was the first thing I saw when I woke up. I was laying on a metal table, head between paws. My mouth felt dry. "Water," I heard someone say. My ears perked as I looked around the room, but saw no one there. I must be out of it. I figured I must be at the vet, and they probably gave me medicine. I could see charts and x-rays hanging all around the room. My ears perked once more and I looked to the door as it opened. A doctor walked in with a nurse. 

"Hey, boy, how are you feeling today?," she asked, walking up to me. I yipped. What was that? I never yip. I must really be out of it. "Feeling better, I see. Let's see if we can get you home." Ryder. I completely forgot about Ryder. Is he in the hospital? Is he at home? Is he OK? Is he... No! I didn't want to think of what could possibly happened. I whimpered, putting my head down. The nurse walked up to me with concern in her eyes.

"I think he's in pain, doctor." Well of course I am. I miss my friend. The doctor came over and looked at me, taking my left paw in her hand.

"Don't worry, we'll find your owner-". She looked at my dog tag. "-Chase." My ears instantly perked up and I licked her hand. I knew she would try to help.

She checked my fur, noting that there were a few small pieces burned off, but nothing major. When she touched my back right paw, I whimpered and moved away. I hadn't realized that I was hurt until now. "Ah, so this is the paw that is hurting you. Let's wrap it up and get you home." She wrapped up my paw and it was good as new. I hopped down from the table and she led me out.

We walked out to the waiting room together. Well, she walked. I limped. "Go find your owner, Chase." I couldn't see Ryder anywhere. I looked up at the doctor with pleading eyes. "Can't find you owner?" She picked me up and walked to the middle of the room. "Does anyone know who this German Shepherd pup belongs too?" Nobody answered. I whimpered. Where's Ryder? Is he... dead? A tear dropped from my eye. "I'm sorry, Chase, I guess you'll have to stay at the shelter tonight. Don't worry, I'll pick you up in the morning, and we'll find your owner, OK?" I licked her cheek. 

 Little did I know, I shouldn't have trusted her.