Chapter 16

Deianeira traced Lyserg's features with her finger. His eyes were still closed, but he could feel his stare on her. Since she tasted his blood, she felt the need to stay close to him and care for him. His deep voice sent shivers down her spine.

Lsg: Is it dark yet?

Dei: Yes, I think it is dinner time.

He opened his eyes and kissed her head, then got up.

Lsg: We should go downstairs. My parents will want to have dinner together. I will have to excuse them from now. Just keep your eyes on me and ignore them.

Dei: You seem so different from them.

Lyserg started searching through her dresses.

Lsg: After my turning I was more or less adopted by them. Eva is the one who insisted on keeping me here, she was good friends with my Adra.

Dei: Who?

Lsg: Adra is the one who turns you into a vampire. Here, try this on.

He gave her a simple straight black dress with straps under the shoulders and she went to the bathroom to change, leaving Lyserg leaned with his back on the door.

Dei: Where is he? I thought you and Ramisu were relatives.

Lsg: Leon killed him. Yes, we are related because he turned both of us, but Ramisu was turned much earlier than I was and he used to live with him. By the time I came, Leon had already made his mind to kill him.

Dei: Why would he do that? I thought you said you are under his wing.

Lsg: It's a game of powers. At the beginning we did not know the truth, but, since we've found out, we've been quietly making our plan for revenge.

He heard the door knob.

Lsg: Are you ready?

Dei: Are you sure this looks good?

Lsg: Definitely.

He took put her hand on his arm and went downstairs together. Dinner was ready, waiting for them, and his parents as well. Mikael was staying at the head of the table, with Eva at his right snd Lyserg sat at his left, having Deianeira next to him.

Mk: I was wondering if I should send someone for you two.

Lsg: Excuse us, we fell asleep.

Deianeira noticed that, this time, everyone had food on their plates, except that their portions were by far smaller.

Eva: How old are you Deianeira?

Dei: I will turn nineteen at the end of December.

Eva: Nineteen? My dear, you look but not one day older than sixteen; so young and fragile.

Dei: Thank you...

Eva: It is a perfect age to stay frozen in time. You shouldn't waste your beauty, dear.

Lsg: You were turned at twenty-tree, as far as I remember.

Eva eyed Lyserg, while Deianeira grabbed his hand under the table. She found it difficult to hide her smile.

Eva: Those were different days.

Mk: How about your siblings, Deianeira?

She opened her mouth to talk, but the words were spoken by Lyserg, which had her look at him confused, but she followed his lead.

Lsg: She is the only child.

Dei: It is true, I have no siblings.

Mk: Such a shame.