Chapter 5

As Mum used to say, fake it till you make it. (Well, actually she used to say "nurse it, till you curse it," but same thing.)

Between classes, Harry, Calum, Michael and Justin strolled outside the school.

Harry wore a frilly pale green suit, with his hair in a long blonde tendrils, and he clutched a textbooks from Fairies 101. He kept his head down and walked beside Calum, who was the epitome of fashion in his blue suit and blue box handbag, both of his own making. Michael and Justin, led Nick, Justin's scruffy but adorable dog, on a leash. The friends climbed up steps onto a breezy open outdoor patio.

Fellow students, holding textbooks, were milling about, perching in the inches of the school's stone wall, of sitting on a stone railing. They smiled at Harry and his friends. The VKs had come a long way since they had arrived in Auradon. They used to be looked down on for being the kids of terrible villains, but now the four were treated with respect. It helped that Harry was gearing up to be the man of the court.

Michael nodded and pointed at a group of girls, who swooned.

"Why do you torture them?" Justin asked. "Just pick someone to take to Cotillion already."

"I'm going solo. That way, I can dance with all of them." Michael squeezed Justin's shoulder and grinned, wiggling his eyebrows.

"Ah, you're the expert," said Justin. "Let's say that you were going to ask someone . . . What's the best way to go?"

"Listen," Michael rested his head on Justin's shoulder. "All you got to do . . . is look like me." Michael howled with laughter.

"Oh, ha-ha." Justin rolled his eyes.

Calum laughed, but Harry seemed lost in thought.

"Harry!" said Jade.

Harry snapped to attention.

Jade appeared before Harry and his friends, clutching a tablet. Camila, daughter of Sinu, stood by her side, looking as chipper as ever. Camila's long black hair stood out against bright pink dress.

But Harry was in no mood to answer more Cotillion questions from Jade, who was helping plan the event.

Justin unwittingly distracting Jade. "Hey, Jade," he said nervously.

"Hey," said Jade, smiling at him.

"Uh, I was wondering . . . if you . . . uh . . . like the carrot cake last night," he said.

"I had the pumpkin pie." she said sweetly, a bit confused.

"Oh. Cool." Justin stared at her, unsure of what to say next to impress her.

Michael walked up behind him and gripped his shoulders. "Smooth," he said in a low voice. Then he swiftly dragged Justin and Nick away to their next class.

Harry braced himself for the barrage of questions. Lucky for him, Calum chimed in.

"I have an opening for a fitting at three! Who wants it?" Calum asks the girls.

"Me!" Camila leaped in front of Jade, then winced. "Sorry," she added.

"Okay, so I'll see you later," Calum told Jade as he pulled Camila to the side to chat.

Harry was alone with Jade. He felt like a deer in headlights.

And Jade wasn't slowing down. "Harry! I hate to keep bugging you, but the Cotillion decorating committee needs more answers. So as much as I hate to . . . uh . . . to . . . uh—"

"Bug me," said Harry.

"Right." Jade nodded.

"Yeah. Uh, no. Totally. I—I just have to get to class." Harry jerked his thumb.