Chapter 23

Cotillion. It's time.
I have a million thoughts in the head but just one feeling in my heart.
And I hope my heart is right.
—————
The only event grander than Cole's coronation ceremony was Cotillion.

For starters, it was being held on a sleek white party yacht called True Love that was docked in the marina. Auradon royal crests adorned either side of the yacht. Orbs of light hung from long cables strung over the deck. There were little round tables with lamps on them here and there, leaving plenty of room for people to dance. A set of stairs with a blue-and-gold trimmed carpet led up to a stage. Everything looked incredible.

Partygoers boarded the yacht of roped-off fans and paparazzi, and a few, including Calum and Liam, stopped to talk with news reporters in front of the step and repeat. Calum wore a midnight blue suit with black beading branching across it, a long blue cape, red gloves, and a thin gold choker featuring a red heart gem centerpiece. His handbag was the shape of a poison apple with a bite taken out of it. And to top it off, he wore Jesy's ruby-studded hair ornament clipped neatly to the side of his hair. Calum struck pose after pose for the cameras.

News reporters held microphones up to him. "Calum, you look beautiful!"

"Thank you," said Calum.

"The suit is gorgeous! Did you design the barrette?"

"No, it's not my creation, actually," he said. "Many of the hair accessories this evening are by a fabulous new designer, Jesy of the Isle!"

"Who's your date?"

"This is my Liam," Calum extended a hand, and Liam took it and moved closer to him. "Dopey's son."

He stood by him in his tan suit and black bow tie and waved.
——————
Meanwhile at the Isle, at Lady Germanotta's Curl Up and Dye, Jesy watched the live feed from the Cotillion on a boxy old TV. After Calum's mention of her hair accessories, Jesy shrieked.

"I made that! That's me!" She squealed again with glee.

Lady Germanotta banged the floor above her, as if to say shut it.

Jesy put a hand to her mouth and flinched at the sound. "Sorry, Granny!" She spun back around to face the TV. She couldn't help smiling.
—————
Jade and Justin descended the steps to the party deck, past bushels of colorful flowers in clusters of white, yellow, and blue, toward the table where people served fruit punch. Justin was super fashionable, as usual, in red knee-length pants and a black-and-white leather jacket. Jade's gown was a long sparkling periwinkle dress with a magenta bow at the waist.

When Becca spotted Jade with Justin, her face lit up. "Jade! Jade, there you are, my dear one!" She made her way from the refreshments table to the dance floor, waving her magic wand and looking like a true fairy in a pale blue dress and hooded cape tied at the neck with a pale silk bow. "Everything looks beautiful, my love, but we need to ladle out the punch before the sherbet melts."

"Mom," said Jade.

Becca looked at her expectantly.

"I have a date," said Jade with a smile.

Becca gasped and grinned. "A date?"

Jade nodded.

"Really?" Becca looked at Justin, then over the deck, searching.

Justin awkwardly looked around.

Becca rested a hand on his shoulder. "Do you have a date, too?"

"Yeah." He gestured to Jade.