Chapter 13

My old hideout definitely ain't what it used to be.
Nothing a li'l spray paint can't fix, though.

Inside a shoddy tower, Cole climbed the steps toward the sound of hissing spray paint.

He stopped on a platform, noticing the grimy dank vibe, and then followed the noise down a flight of steps into Harry's hideout. Eyes wide, he took in the graffitied walls and continued to make his way farther into the room.

He stopped short. There was Harry. He stood on an old trunk facing the wall and worked furiously on a self-portrait of a wild purple-haired Isle version of him tearing his way out of the ice-blond Auradon prince version of him.

Talk about making a statement.

Cole quietly approached Harry. "At least I don't see a picture of me with horns and a pitchfork," he said jokingly.

Harry whipped around. "Cole," he said, surprised.

He took another step toward him.

He held out his hand, motioning for him to stop.

Cole froze. "Harry, I'm so sorry about our fight. It was all my fault." He held out his beast-head ring. "Please come home."

Harry stepped down off the trunk, hanging his head, and tossed the spray paint can into a rusty shopping cart with a clatter. "Cole, this is my home," said Harry softly. He stopped in front of Cole, leaving some space between them.

Cole smiled warmly at him. "I brought the limo. It's a sweet ride."

Harry looked at his beast-head ring for a moment, then folded his arms. "I don't fit in. I really tried, Cole. I really gave it a shot. And if you think I can change, I think you're wrong."

Cole opened his arms. "Then I'll change. I'll skip school, I'll blow off some of my responsibilities—"

"No! No!" Harry shook his head. "See? I am such a terrible influence! I mean, it's only a matter of time before I do something so messed up that the people turn on not only me, but they turn on you!"

Cole took Harry's hand. "Don't quit us, Harry. The people love you. I love you." He handed him the ring.

Harry stared at Cole in silence. He wasn't quite sure what to say.

"Don't you love me?" Cole asked quietly.

Harry took his beast-head ring, put it in his hand, and closed it. "I have to take myself out of the picture, because it's what's best for you and it's what's best for Auradon."

Cole took a step toward him. "Harry, please."

Harry put his hand on his chest to stop him. "I can't do this." He turned and walked back to the shopping cart, where he picked up the spray paint can. "You have to go," he said. He stepped up on the trunk and faced the wall. Then he turned and saw that Cole was still standing there. "Cole, please go. Please leave."

Cole hung his head and slowly backed out of the room until he was out of sight.

Suddenly, Harry felt as shaken as his spray paint can.

He tried his hardest not to cry.

Outside, Justin, Michael, and Calum stirred as they heard Cole heading down the stairs.

The gate slid up, Cole walked out, and then the gate started closing behind him. "He's not coming back," he said, walking past them and down the abandoned alley.

Calum's mouth was agape. "What?" she exclaimed.

Justin and Michael exchanged alarmed looks.

Calum walked to the gate, but it slammed shut. He was too late. He walked to the call horn and spoke into it. "H? Harry? Just let us up. We just want to talk."

Inside the hideout, Harry had pulled a giant lever to lock the gate. His voice sounded through the horn. "Go away!"

Calum, Michael, and Justin looked at each other, at a loss.

Michael rested a hand on Calum's shoulder. "Let's just give him a couple of hours to cool off, all right?"

Justin looked down the alley, which fluttered with rags. "Guys . . ." he said.

Michael and Calum gathered beside him, and Calum said, "What?"

"Where's Cole?" asked Justin.

Calum peered down the dim alley. "Cole?" he called out.

A dark silhouette walked toward them.

"Cole?" Calum sighed, relieved. "Cole! Don't scare us like that."

The figure stepped closer. But it wasn't Cole.

"Don't scare you?" Louis repeated sweetly. "You see, but that's my specialty."

"Louis," gasped Calum.

Michael took a step toward him. "What did you do with Cole?" he demanded.

"Hmmm? Oh! We nicked him. Yeah, and if you ever want to see him again, have Harry come to the chip shop tonight. Alone. Sabrina wants a little visit."

Louis smiled and looked at them, landing his sights on Michael. "Aww. Seems you've lost your edge, Michael."

Michael lunged at him, but Justin held Michael back.

Louis giggled, then began to whistle as he strolled off down the alley.

Calum, Michael, and Justin looked on, horrified.
——————
Inside the hideout, Harry confronted Calum, Michael, and Justin. "If you never would have brought him here, this never would have happened! What were you thinking?" Harry yelled.

"H, he was going to come with or without us. We wanted to protect him," said Calum.

"Yeah, which we blew," added Justin, throwing his arms up.

"Okay, okay. So what are we gonna do?" asked Michael.

"We are not doing anything," Harry insisted, stopping in front of his friends. "This is between Sabrina and me. She's a punk, and now I need to go get him."

He picked up his leather-studded backpack from the dusty old couch.

He could feel the weight of his spell book inside it. Wish I could use it here to get out of this, he thought. Dumb Auradon rules strike again.

"Whoaaa, Harry. You're gonna have to go through Louis Tomlinson and his wharf rats, and Ross . . ." said Justin.

"Exactly. You need us," said Michael.

Harry shook his head. "Sabrina said to come alone."

Calum put his hands on his hips. "Harry, come on."

Justin shrugged and looked at Calum and Michael. "He doesn't have a choice."

Calum sighed, knowing he was right.

"I know one thing," said Justin. "I'm not going anywhere." He sat on the couch.

Michael nodded. "We'll be here when you get back."