Chapter 22

As everyone else gets ready for cotillion, I'll just be quietly freaking out...
~~~~~~~~
Justin and Nick walked on the grassy school lawn toward the dorms.

There were groups of students in pastel-colored Auradon Prep clothes standing in clumps, chatting with others, and strolling to class in the shade of trees.

"Guy talk. Crushed it," said Nick.

Justin laughed. "Yeah, except when it comes to asking Jade out. Then I'm a total chicken." he said.

"I'm going to paraphrase one of the bravest boys I know," said Nick.

Carlos stopped and looked down at him, waiting for the rest.

Nick cleared his throat. "If she doesn't like you, then she isn't the one for you."

Justin knelt down, smiling. "You really are man's best friend." He scratched the top of Nick's head, then laughed and stood up. "Come on, buddy, let's go."
~~~~~~~
Michael was wearing his sporty blue-and-yellow R.O.A.R. outfit when he strolled into the amphitheater, where the team had assembled. They were in the arena stretching.

"Let's bring it in!" Michael clapped.

Everyone gathered around him.

"All right," Michael said. "You all knew I come from the Isle, all right, where things are pretty wack. But there is one thing the Isle's got on Auraodon: if you're strong, we want you by our side—girl or boy."

Niall stepped beside him. "Hold on here, Michael. We don't break rules here in Auradon, okay? That's more on the Isle."

Michael pulled the rule book from his pocket and read from it. " 'The team shall be comprised of a captain and eight men.' So, uh, give it up for your new team captain." He pocketed the rule book and turned to the doorway, where Camila appeared in a customer designed pink-and-teal R.O.A.R. uniform. She quickly joined the guys.

Michael placed a whistle around her neck, bowed, and left her in the center. Then he clapped, which started a chain reaction of applause throughout the rest of the team. Everyone but Niall put his hands together. Then Michael led the team in a unified bow, and everyone bowed to Camila expect for Niall. Camila looked long and hard at him, and he finally gave in and bowed along with the others.

Camila was ready for her new role. She blew her whistle. "Give me ten!" she instructed. "Come on, guys!"

The boys dropped for push-ups and began to count.

Camila put a foot on Niall's back. "Pick it up, Niall!" she said. "Nice form, Michael!"

Michael smiled at her and went lower into his push-ups, showing how strong he really was.

Camila laughed, took a step back, and blew her whistle again. " 'Kay, practice is over," she said to her team. "Get outta here! Go get ready for Cotillion."

The team dispersed and jogged out of the amphitheater.

"Hey, Michael!" said Camila from the arena.

He turned and walked over to her. "Yeah?"

Camila smiled. "Wait till I tell my mom."

Michael smiled and gave her a playful tap on the shoulder. "Let's get outta here."
~~~~~~~
Inside Harry and Calum's room, Calum was altering Harry's suit.

She gathered up bits of fabric and swaths of gold lamé and glanced at the pile of Jesy's hair creations. She took a headband, turned it over in his hands, and added a piece of leather. It was just the touch of headband needed. He smiled.