Chapter XXV - Countdown

Start from the beginning

- No, sir.- Louise replied.

- Did you manage to find Hercules?- his face was still frowned in worry,

- I did. He is fine.- Washington seemed to be able to breathe again after that information.- The British have been watching his correspondence.

- I knew that would happen, sooner or later...- George mumbled.- At least we have some relevant information, It's not enough, but it...

- Sir, - Louise interrupted, placing the papers on his desk.- Mulligan stole this a few days ago from Howe's office.

Washington froze, looking down at the papers and trying to read all the information at once. After the first few sheets, he looked up a Louise, while John and Lafayette came closer to the desk having a look at the papers as well.

- This is...- the incredulous words came from the General's mouth.

- Every single detail of their plan.- Louise smiled.- What we needed to win this.

Everyone in the tent looked like statues, taken by the surprise of the woman's statement. After the time seemed to stop, small grins started to open in the men's faces and Washington embraced Louise, joy overfilling his eyes. They were also joined by the other two soldiers and laughed in victory, starting to realize that it was not a dream. Finally, Washington was able to speak out of the shock

- Louise, I need you to get all the Colonels and Generals for an urgent meeting.

(...)

The night had fallen late that day, but the group of men inside the General's tent did not even notice it. They sat next to each other, passing the papers around them and absorbing as much information as they could. Louise sat in the corner, next to Lafayette and Laurens, and was writing to her brother about every detail of the plan. She needed to tell him, even if he was away.

- The British are moving towards Virginia, according to these papers, where their forces are still too fragile. I think they want to reinforce them, and if they are able to do so we have no chance on winning this.- the General spoke in the middle.- General Lafayette, how much time until Rochambeau's arrival with the French aid?

- Maybe two, three weeks...- the Frenchman's voice was not cheerful.

- You will join him later and sail to Chesapeake Bay with the Naval troops as soon as possible.- the General informed him.- There, you need to defeat the Royal Navy. It is the only way we are able to march down to Virginia and bottle up Cornwallis' south army.

-Sir, I think you are being too hasty about this!- Louise got up from her papers for the first time that night.- We have to also think that the British might have used this as a bait to catch us in the South. They had started suspecting Mulligan, and in the Village information is running from mouth to mouth. They know that we have a French General.

- The Colonel is right!- Knox defended.- If information is circulating...

- We have to be attentive.- Lafayette spoke up.- But this could be our only chance. We have worked on this strategy for months, and this information is only helping us to geographically place the battles.

- We can't wait three weeks until the French troops arrive!- Fitzgerald put up.

- That is where I was getting.- Washington, replied turning to Laurens.- We were already sending Colonel Laurens with a few man to South Carolina next week. With this information, we anticipate his departure for tomorrow...

- What?!- this time, Louise got up and faced Washington.- I have just returned from spying the British. If someone was able to find my true identity, they have soldiers nearby waiting for any of us to go out!