Chapter XIV - Letting go

(...)

The next morning, Louise slept throw the four men departure, only remembering her brother carefully kissing her goodbye on the forehead. For a matter of fact, she did not want to think about John's marriage, not after the events of the previous night. She couldn't explain what she felt, but it was different than before: The butterflies in her stomach did not appear when he was close to her. She might have allowed him to stay as friend, but her heart was too broken to ever love him like she did before.

Still, Louise couldn't understand what was bothering her that much about the wedding. It just felt like a bullet on her stomach every time someone mentioned it. To try and shove those thoughts out of her head, the young woman decided to go for a ride, since they were in a safe enough distance from any British troops.

Leaving the tent, after grabbing her blue coat, felt odd. Normally there was much noise around, from men laughing and discussing strategies: especially coming from her friends. Without them, that grey day just seemed a lot sadder, as the clouds blocked the sun and hide the blue sky. With the beginning of November, the weather had gone colder, and everyone knew that soon it would affect the battles to be fought.

As she walked towards the stables, she heard a powerful voice calling her name.

- Captain Faucette!- she turned around and saluted her General.- I need to get off this camp for a while, would you mind a ride?

- Not at all, your Excellency!

Washington let go a small grin, and they both went to get their horses. After jumping on the saddle, George gave some instructions to General Nathanael Greene, in command while he was absent. Then, in a slow pace, they headed through the woods. Unlike many other places, there weren't much trees in the forest, leaving a lot of space to walk around, and few protection. We better get out of here before any battle Louise thought for herself.

- So, Louise, I noticed you didn't join Hamilton and the others in South Carolina.- Washington's words caused her heart to sprint.

- I... didn't feel m-much like travelling that far, sir.- she stuttered, trying to make up an excuse.

- Well, that does not seem like you at all.- George smirked, knowing that she was lying.- I think there is more to it. Do you want to talk about it, Captain?

Louise blushed, knowing she was a terrible liar, and sighed. Building the courage, the younger Hamilton spoke up.

- I cannot think about Laurens' marriage, because once I have loved him... and the marriage was the reason we didn't stay with each other. I am sorry to bother you with such a sentimental matter, sir.

She held the reins tighter, looking down, so that she wouldn't shed any tear. Washington, however, did not show a sign of surprise, or confusion. He simply asked a simple question, like Mulligan once did.

- Do you still love him?

The question surprised her, leading her blue eyes up to the General, trying to make an answer.

- I...- she sighed, giving up to the truth.- ... don't think so, sir. But there is still something that keeps me from moving on. Maybe the fear I will feel broken again. After him, I just felt like I couldn't trust any men ever, especially not love any.

- I think I know what you mean.- the General gave her a fatherly look.- Sometimes our life takes unexpected turns, and we think it's for the worst. But what I can tell you I learned through all this years of life, is that those turns happen because something greater is yet to come, and we might not know it. However, I know the Captain in front of me: She is tougher than people see.