Chapter XIX - The Battle of Monmouth

(...)

June 1781

If the winter that had past was the coldest since Louise joined the army, now it was the complete opposite. The scalding summer hindered the battles, and many soldiers had died from the combination of exhaustion and heat. It was practically unbearable to be under the sun for more than an hour. But that problem did not affect Louise Hamilton.

She and her brother were constantly either on their tent or in the General's. They had taken over writing all his correspondence, and barely were seen in the battlefield. Besides that, John and Alexander had engaged to write essays against slavery, keeping her brother even busier, as everyday was a test of their camaraderie and bravery.

Louise would sometimes join Hercules on cutting supply lines and stealing contraband, since local merchants started denying them equipment and assistance, monopolized by the British forces. Lafayette was also dedicated to ask for French aid, even if his relationship with the King was fragile, due to the fact that he ran away without his permission to join the revolution at his own expense.

Lafayette had taken a lot of space in Louise's mind, but not in her time. They barely saw each other in the space of 6 months: Louise was always writing, Lafayette was always in the battlefield. In the rare times they were with each other, they were always in the company of Alexander, Laurens and Mulligan. Nevertheless, it seemed to Louise that the Frenchman did not remember anything that he said. And it was better like that.

Still, she couldn't stop thinking in those words: Je t'adore. They were said in such a truthful, passionate tone that they sounded real. And despite the fight against her feelings, the young woman couldn't deny that those words had softened her heart. However, the images of Lafayette charming all the women that crossed his path were haunting. Maybe he said the same to them. Maybe.

-Louise?- Mulligan entered the General's tent, where Louise was alone.- I have to leave...

The woman soldier dropped her quill on top of the letter she was writing, smudging some of the text. Then she remembered that Hercules was leaving to work alongside the Sons of Liberty as a spy on the British forces. They first thought of sending her, but Washington was afraid of what might happen to a woman if they found out she was a spy. Hercules volunteered to take her place.

Louise got up and ran towards Mulligan, jumping on his arms. He lifted her up, squeezing the small woman gently, until he felt some tears falling on his coat.

- Hey, I will be back before you know.- he pulled from the embrace to face Louise

She nodded and they pulled into another hug. In her head, there was a hint of fear. Fear that her friend was not going to come back. His task was dangerous, but his disguise as a tailor was smart enough to keep out any suspects. When they parted, and Hercules lift the tent's flap, he looked back and assured, with a smile.

-I'll see you on the other side of the war.

-I'll see you on the other side of the war.- Louise replied, with a small grin.

Mulligan left, leaving Louise to wonder if that would be the last time she would see him. No she thought We will celebrate the end of the war together.

She returned to her sit, picking a new sheet of paper to start rewriting the letter she had previously smudged. When Louise was almost finished, worried steps filled the space, as George Washington entered the tent, with a letter on his hand.

- Colonel Faucette.- Louise got up, saluting the General.- The cavalry is not coming!

She widened her eyes in distress, confused of how they were suppose to win a war against forces that outnumbered them by thousands without the cavalry.