Chapter IX - The Letter

(...)

Louise couldn't tell how many hours had been since John left the house. The time seemed to pass slowly to her. What was that letter about? Why did it affect him so much? Why did he run away from her?

Mulligan was making some adjustments on her new uniform, tailoring it perfectly to fit a women's body, while Louise looked at herself in the mirror. The young woman's face carried a sad expression; her eyes seemed always full of tears caused by the thoughts of her lover. These thoughts that reverberated in her mind, along with a million questions and the worry from his absence, added even more sadness to her face.

- Ouch!- the sting of a needle woke her up from her trance.

- That seemed like the only way to get your attention today.- Mulligan haunted, finishing the sewing in her pants.- Are you thinking about our departure?

Hercules, who usually was the always joking kind of person, looked genuinely concerned. She sighed, knowing they couldn't keep that secret forever, and admitting that wreaking about it with someone would maybe help her calm her feelings.

- It's about John...- she mumbled.

-Laurens?!- Mulligan raised an eyebrow.

- Yes...- she built enough strength to continue.- I have realized recently that I had feelings for him, and ever since that, we have been seeing each other. I am sure he feels the same way towards me, his love is not what worries me. But today's morning, when I went downstairs, I found him deeply concerned about a letter he had received, and when I asked him about it, he left...

She looked at Mulligan with her watered eyes, and he stopped his work and hugged her gently. Unlike she thought, he did not say a thing about her and Laurens, nor seemed mad at them for hiding it from their friends. Instead, he seemed to understand partially the pain that filled her heart at that moment.

- Louise.- he finally replies, facing her.- I cannot tell you what's in his mind right now. What I can tell you is that Laurens love for you is unquestionable. Since the day he first saw you at the tavern, he couldn't shut up about you, and I'm sure that he will tell you what is up, he just needs time. But I have to ask... Do you really love him?

The question surprised her.

- I...- why am I stuttering?- I-I do...

- Then I am sure things will work themselves out.- he smiled, finishing his work on the uniform.- You are all done!

- Thank you Herc.- she smiled, admiring herself in the mirror,

Before he could think of a reply, they heard the door open, making Louise's heart beat faster. She ran downstairs, meeting with a still-pale John Laurens in the middle of the hallway. They looked at each other for some brief seconds, and he continued his way to the library, without a word.

- John?- Louise went after him.- John wait!

Ignoring her once more, he slammed the door in her face. She didn't give up that easily that time, and knocked at the door.

- John, may I come in?

No response. She tried to open it, but the door was locked, and she knocked one more time.

-John, please. We need to talk!

His absente response made her slowly slide to the ground, letting the tears she had kept for herself the whole day role down her pale face.

- John...- she whispered with a trembled voice.

(...)

The bed was so much colder without his arms holding her tight. She felt incomplete, laying on those white sheets without Laurens' eyes staring back at her.