Chapter XXV - Countdown

(...)

The approach to the camp was unexpected, since it was way earlier than what they calculated. Louise galloped in front of the men with her thoughts much farther from the reality. Williams was the one carrying the papers Hercules had given her and the thought that soon they could be winning a five year war was too heavy for her. Almost a dream.

As the group was emerging out of the trees, the soldiers that guarded the American camps were taken by surprise by their early arrival.

- Who is it?!- Lafayette was alerted of the arrival, emerging from a tent nearby.

- Come on, General.- Louise approached him.- You don't even recognize your future wife?

Lafayette's eyes gained some shine as he ran towards the young woman, who was already laughing back at him

Lafayette's eyes gained some shine as he ran towards the young woman, who was already laughing back at him. He helped her down of the horse and spun the small body around, holding his lover thightly.

- I was so worried...- the Frenchman pulled Louise into his chest, stroking her loose locks.

- And I told you I would be back before the night fell!- she smiled, meeting his gaze.

- Mon amour...- the soft lips met the woman's forehead in a caring kiss.

- Come on, soldiers there's nothing to see here!

Laurens gestured to the men that were all admiring the scene with a suggestive gaze. Louise, acknowledging his presence, ran to him being met in a friendly embrace.

-You didn't punch any Redcoats, did you?- John mocked, patting her back.

- Oh, there were plenty opportunities...- Louise remembered the countless times where she would have taken a man down if it was a normal situation.

- Did you find Hercules?- now his tone came more low and serious, being joined by Lafayette's concern.

Louise kept silent for a few seconds with a fake sad grin covering her face, having fun with the anticipation of the two men. Then, she finally revealed the response, with a smile replacing her seriousness.

- Yes, he is ok.

The three of them hugged in relieve of knowing that nothing happened to their friend. Louise's heart was fuller because inside her, a voice repeated that the war would be over and the five of them would be together just like the old times.

- Colonel, your papers.- Williams interrupted.- Washington wishes to see you.

Louise nodded, thanking the soldier and feeling the curious two pairs of eyes fall in her hands. She signed both Laurens and Lafayette to follow her towards the General's tent. On the way there, the woman tried her best to hide the content of the papers from the two men, who were trying to take a peak in what she had brought.

When they entered the tent, the three found Washington walking nervously around his desk and then stopping as soon as he saw them.

- Louise, I'm glad to see you.- Washington did not even respond to the salute, grabbing the woman's arms.- Did anyone find you?