Chapter III - Farmer Refuted

(...)

The following months unfolded in an up up beat lifestyle, something Louise had never experienced. Life in the Caribbean never changed, nothing really happened. But in New York, in a matter of second everything seemed to change and the wind would blow in another direction.

Since that night, she couldn't stop thinking about Laurens, holding her tightly in his arms, and how she felt by only looking at him. What could happen if she allowed herself to...

The truth is that in the past months, they hadn't had any other chance to be alone. Life was an adventure when the Independence was just around the corner. On that end of June, 1776, the liberty they all longed for was surely close. However, that meant that a war was developing all across the States, starting from Boston. She always imagined death so much it felt like a memory. Indeed, she could have died while a child, when her and her brother and mother got sick. But she survived. And if it was meant for her to die in the battle field, if that was her legacy... she would.

-Louise?- the voice of her brother interrupted her reflections.- Are you still studying?

- I am.- she lied.

Alexander came close and sat next to his sister, holding her hands.

-Your perseverance impresses me every time.- he smiled.- But... It's time for you to leave the house. See the action in the streets.

Louise smiled and nodded "yes" with her head, closing her books. Her brother was right. If she wanted to join the rebellion, she needed to experience it directly, and not just from the books she devoured.

-Go get dressed.- the older Hamilton said while leaving the room.- You are coming with the boys today!

A wide smile filled her face with joy, as she quickly went to her room to get dressed. When they moved with Laurens, he had some spare dresses from his sister at home, since she was living in South Carolina along with his family. He did as well order some more, despite Louise reluctance for being given such beautiful and expensive dresses.

She choose a light summer dress, that she had made herself, washed her face and tied her hair in a half up-do, not the most proper for her age, since woman should privilege having their hair up, especially when married, but that hairstyle suited her pale face, as some red threads would frame her face. She looked into the mirror one last time, and smiled. Her mother would be so proud to see such a beautiful woman.

As Louise went down the stairs, John and Alexander were impatiently waiting.

-Come on!- shouted Hamilton in a mocking way.- We are going downtown, not to the ball at Schuyler's palace!

- You wish we were going to the ball.

Her voice attracted the men eyes, and Laurens looked at that beautiful woman, even more when embellished with such beautiful dresses. But her face... the face of peace he always longed for was a trap for his eyes and desires, even more now that he saw it every day.

-Wow...- Laurens sighed.- You look so... I-I mean, you are... b-but you just..

Louise blushed as she gave him her hand, to help her down the stairs and lead her to her brother. As a single Lady, she should only appear in public accompanied by a male family member, or her fiancé, and it would be improper and cause rumors if she was publically escorted by John, even if her heart secretly desired it.

She took her brother's arm and the three were headed downtown. There they met up with Hercules and Lafayette. They greeted you formally, to disguise the real purpose of your walk downtown. First Hercules.