Chapter VI - Tea

(...)

They moved Lafayette to one of the guest rooms, so that he could rest. Last night must have been too exhausting for him, especially walking around with one of his arms wounded. Meanwhile, Louise and the rest of the soldiers conferred in the living room.

-But Alexander...- the woman intervened.- If you say your attack was successful, how did Lafayette catch a bullet.

- After we stole about 24 canons, we decided it was better to retreat, before we were surrounded by British troops.- Alexander began to explain.- However, while we we're exiting the ship, a redcoat caught Lafayette and fired against him. He was able to dodge the bullet, thankfully, or else it would have entered between his ribs, onto his chest.

A shiver ran through Louise's body, and her heart sank with only the thought of losing one of her closest friends. It is true that Lafayette's flirtatious habits used to get in her nerves, but she couldn't deny that the Frenchman was a big part of her life.

- Well- Laurens voice interrupted her thoughts.- At least the attack was successful.... And will give us a reputation when we head to the training camp. Alexander, he might even make you a general.

- Brooklyn was taken recently.- Hercules entered the room with a serious expression.- That army is a mess in dying need of assistance.

As he spoke the last few words, Louise saw a light of hope to succeed in joining the army, even if as a woman. Their need for assistance would lead them to be unable to deny her offer. Besides, she could be of some assistance, since her brains and logical abilities beat most young soldiers, as well as her shooting skills. She decided to personally write to George Washington and propose her join to the revolutionary war.

Then she looked at Laurens, and he met ver gaze. That made her wonder "What if one of us dies?" . How could they live their recent love in the middle of a battlefield, constantly fearing loosing each other. Everything was too recent, too fragile.

But by looking at those glowing eyes, the woman was sure that she rather be with him in the battlefield than waiting at home, unsure of what fate would bring them.

- I am going with you.

The men stood silence, as Louise Hamilton spoke up. Hercules was the only one giving her a supportive, but worried, look. Laurens eyes filled with fear, imagining what could happen to a woman like her in the middle of the war, terrorized from the endless scenarios. But Alexander... Alexander would not allow his sister, all he had left, commit that suicidal mistake, instead of being safe and sound at home.

- Louise, you must be out of your goddamn mind, if you think I'm allowing you to go in the middle of the battle field.- Alexander shouted, furiously.

- YOU are going in the middle of the battle field.- the young woman replied.

Laurens and Mulligan silently exit the room, giving the two siblings space to discuss that issue.

- I am used to those dangers.- Alexander was now in front of her.- The battles are way more violent that you can even think, it traumatizes even the bravest soldiers, and your irreverent mind does not allow you to understand it!

-Irreverent mind?! I was raised without a mother!- tears weld in her eyes.- My whole life I tried to prove the world I was worthy, that I was strong as I fought many more battles than you did. I am a woman that wants to have her own legacy and you not allowing me just shows how you see me as an inferior, even when you know I was born with the same wits as you... as our mother. Why do you...

- BECAUSE I LOVE YOU.

Her brother's shout filled the room, as Louise watched with her eyes wide open