chapter 2

"Do you mind if I sit here?" Spencer looked up from his chemistry text book at the girl who spoke to him. She was beautiful. She tossed long brown hair out of her eyes as she looked down at him. He glanced at the stool that sat roughly two feet away from him. She wanted to sit that close to him? His hands started to sweat, "Uhm uh-" He stammered and instead of rolling her eyes and walking away she gave him the brightest smile and said thanks.

All the air left his lungs once she placed herself on the stool. Her knee grazed his thigh and he sharply inhaled. "I'm sorry." She apologized once she heard his reaction. "Don't be sorry it just um startled me." He talked quickly, then returned to his text book. He flipped the page almost every 30 seconds and she watched in awe."Do you really read that fast?" She let out an astonished airy laugh. He wondered why she engaged in conversation with him again.

He cleared his throat and made eye contact with her, something most girls usually got uncomfortable by. He knew that overall, people only make eye contact anywheres from 30 to 60 percent of the time when speaking to individuals or to groups. "I can read 20,000 words a minute." She stared right back into his eyes, almost sarcastically, and said "That's amazing." And smiled at him.

"What's your name?" He couldn't keep his eyes off her now, even though all her attention was on the packet in front of her. "Adeline." A beautiful name for a beautiful girl. He thought it was strange that she didn't ask for his name. "Aren't you going to ask for mine?" She grinned from ear to ear and bit her bottom lip, "I already know it Spencey."

Spencer opened his eyes to bright sunshine. His head pounded and his eyelids were heavy. After observing his surroundings, he realized he was still at the BAU, on a couch in Hotch's office.

Outside the office door the room was busy with FBI agents bustling around working on their cases. SSA Aaron Hotchner had finally arrived at his place of work, and was immediately approached by Morgan. "He's been here all night?" Hotch questioned, "Since about 3:30. He wrote out a conversation on the board and told me about Addy- an old friend. The kid got so emotionally drained he just crashed in your office." Aaron nodded at him, and sped walked to his office. He swung open the door and Spencer jumped a little bit. "Reid?"

Spencer nodded at Hotch, an emotionless way to say he's okay. "Do you want to talk about it?" His tone was serious, as it normally was, but behind it was compassion. He expected Reid to just say no and blow it off and ask to return home. "Yes. Can we get the team together? I've already wasted enough time sleeping." Spencer got on his feet immediately, taking Hotch off guard but he nodded at his team mate and walked into the common area of the BAU floor. "Team in the conference room please."

Morgan, Spencer, Hotch, Garcia, JJ, Emily, and Rossi all gathered into the conference room immediately. "Alright JJ what do we have today." Emily Prentice asked, as she usually did, when the team gathered. JJ looked at Emily in confusion and shrugged. "I was about to ask you." Everyone turned their attention to Hotch, who announced, "Reid has the case for us today."

Considering this was most definitely not the 'norm' for the group, questions ran through everyone's head. Garcia viciously types on her laptop as Reid watched over her shoulder. "JJ could you-" Before Spencer even got to finish his sentence, JJ already had the projector up.

A picture of a beautiful young woman was plastered on the screen in front of them. She had straight brown hair that cascaded out of the picture frame, and navy blue eyes. Her skin was a golden tan, and she had a perfect smile that beamed. Spencer immediately had tunnel vision, and couldn't take his eyes off the picture. He hadn't seen her since senior year of college, and here she was, about 25, still just as gorgeous as he could remember. "Reid?" Hotch interrupted his reminiscing and he cleared his throat.

"This is Adeline Spera. She's 25 and she's from Las Vegas. Last night she called me." He cued Garcia to play their phone call. Spencer chose to drone it out, wishing not to relive it. A silence washed over the group after hearing the call. JJ looked at Spencer with sympathy in his eyes. He chose to ignore her looks and looked to the team for some analysis.

"Garcia were you able to pick up a location for the call?" Penelope clicked her colorful nails across her keyboard, "The call came from her current address, 102 Kings Highway, an apartment building, in San Francisco." Derek looked confused, "So she was in her house when she called?" He looked around to everyone for suggestions, "Clearly the unsub didn't take her phone on purpose. They wanted her to call you." Rossi looked at Reid, "This is starting to seem personal."

Everyone looked to Spencer for answers he didn't have. No one came to mind immediately when thinking of people who would want to personally attack Spencer. No one in his his current life even knew about Adeline, or their history together. The team he trusts with his life didn't even know about her. "I can't think of anyone who would be after me that knows her importance to me." He dug deep into his mind to think about anyone, but couldn't scrape anyone up.

"Garcia, start with checking on everyone that Reid had a big part in putting into custody or any relatives of romantic partners of them." Garcia nodded, picking up her laptop and hustling out of the room. "We're going to go to California to see if there's anything we can find at her apartment. Wheels up in thirty everyone."