27. Your turn

Issa Tate

Issa Tate

————————

   The first thing I see when I open my eyes are Dereks stormy ones staring back at me. I smile shyly at him but the smile quickly fades when the first few seconds of bliss that comes with first waking up pass and I'm back in reality. My stomach drops and I can't bring myself to maintain my gaze on his beautiful eyes. I break eye contact and go to get up but his arm wraps around my waist, pulling me even closer.

   "It's early. Let's just enjoy this for a while huh?" He asks and I actually consider it for a moment before the guilt kicks in.

   "The waiting game is over Der. I have to start moving in on Jason today.. or soon." I whisper to him. He looks me dead in the eye for a moment and I think he's angry when his fingers suddenly slide between mine, holding my hand.

   I watch him as he brings our enter twined hands and lays a kiss on my fingers. I stare at his face longingly, my heart clenching in pain. His stormy eyes meet mine once more and he sends me a sad smile. "I hate this." He states bluntly and I nod in understanding.

   "The sooner this is done, the sooner we can go home and everything will go back to normal." I say, slipping away from him and heading for the door.

   "Here's hoping."

I let out a half hearted laugh and open the door. I shut it as quietly as possible seeing as everyone is asleep at this early hour. I turn around and my stomach drops when my eyes land on Emery who seemed to be in the middle of mixing his coffee. His dark eyes meet mine and he sends me a sad smile.

"Em, I -"

"It's okay Issa. It isn't like I didn't see this coming. I meant what I said. As long as it takes." He tells me sincerely and my eyes start to sting with tears.

He walks toward me, headed for his room but stops just before opening the door to look at me. "It's about to get a lot harder Issa. Just.. stay strong for me okay?"

I look at him confused for a moment as he enters his room. Then it dawns on me. "You're in on-" but he shuts his door quietly before I can finish my questions.

In my room I go straight for my phone and check the time. When I see just how early it is, I sigh in relief and lay myself down on my bed. I close my eyes, relieved that I get this alone time to think and relax but the relief is replaced by annoyance when my door sounds with a knock.

   I let out a hesitant sigh and sit up. "Come in." I call and to my surprise, the person opening the door turns out to be Tess.