20. For now

My eyes widen as I pull away from his lips quickly. He raises his eyebrows and slowly opens his stormy eyes to meet mine cautiously. What the fuuuck just happened? I analyze his face as he does the same with me. The hurt that flashed in his eyes was gone in a second, almost as if it was never there.

   "Y-you can't do that." I say in a small voice.

   His eyes narrow at me and he raises a brow in speculation. His stare scans over my face again.  "Why not?"

   I did not expect an argument, but I especially didn't expect that question. Why not? Well that's obvious.

A. Emery

B. School

C. Jason

D. My father who absolutely hates the Lions with a burning passion and would kill Derek just for looking at him, let alone kissing his daughter. The heir to his throne as he likes to say. He'd definitely prefer River. Infact he constantly threw fits of rage after I broke up with him. Little does he know that he's the reason for that.

And E... well I hate to admit it but.. River. I hate him sometimes and a lot of the time I'm around him, I have to keep myself from stabbing him in the neck violently with the little knives I tuck in my shoes.. but he'll always be my first love.. and sometimes I wish things between us had gone differently. I'm not stupid either. I know that the only reason he agreed to this bullshit mission was to keep an eye on me. Specifically me with other guys.

   I could go on but I realize that I've just been staring at Derek for half a minute as I run through my pros and cons. I've never felt this way about anyone, that's a pro I guess. He distracts me... con. He understands me in ways others can't and don't.. pro. But my father would kill him in front of my eyes just to spite me for having a bad day.. con.

   "Derek... my father would kill you." It's a given. Getting involved with me will put him in danger, especially because of his bloodline gang. Jeremiah Tate and Dereks father Tommy were best friends back in the day believe it or not, like brothers.. but when he passed, my father changed into a bitter person with a cold heart. All of his light was snuffed out. He thinks it was Mr Paine's wife who killed him. He thinks his friend was weak for loving her, that having a child made him weak. That mentality of course reflected on our family.

   From that day on, father only cared about running the gang and the company. But as the days went by and he couldn't get to Mrs. Paine or her son, he started coming home again. We all know where that led.

   He grabs my face and turns it slightly so that I'm looking at him. "I'm a lot harder to kill than you might think doll."

   "He hates your mother."

   "That's precisely why she never shows up to the gathering formal every year. I've met your father before and he didn't recognize me."

   "You've met my father." I say in sarcastic disbelief.

   "Yeah. I've seen him around the balls the pistols throw every year. I've met you before too a few years back." He says with a smirk.

   "Is that so?"

   "Yup. You were a bit shorter and even skinnier than you are now. As hard as that is to believe." His mouth slides into a lazy grin as he thinks back. "You were wearing this long shiny pink dress and even though you tried to hide them, I could see the combat boots you were wearing under it. River was following you around like a lost puppy and your brother was trying to adjust your dress because the men from other gangs were staring at your cleavage."