Epilogue

A/N: if you really want to sob while reading this, listen to Hold Me While You Wait by Lewis Capaldi while you read :)

- - -

Four Months Later...

"Mom, I'm home!"

Pulling my purse from my shoulder, I slung it into the barstool. I tossed my keys into the bag and walked over to the refrigerator.

"How did the interview go?" I heard her ask, her voice echoing out from the laundry room.

"I think it went well, but we'll see."

I pulled out the lemonade and poured a glass before sitting down on the countertop.

My first real-world job interview since graduating from college nearly a week ago hadn't gone nearly as bad as I expected it to. They didn't seem distracted by the fact that I'd been fired from my counseling internship when I never showed up after taking a week off for my grandfather's funeral.

They were also interested in hiring me despite the fact that I had only been allowed to graduate after drawing up a contract with my university promising that I would make up the classes that I had withdrawn from while in Germany.

While I had retaken most of them during the spring semester, I still had two left to complete over the summer.

The company would allow me to work part-time until I had completed my remaining classes and obtained my licensure to become a practicing behavioral therapist. Then, I would join their team and start working with my own clients.

"When do you expect to hear back from them?" my mom asked, emerging from the laundry room holding a stack of folded towels that was as tall as she was.

"She said it would be some time in the next week."

She placed the towels on the countertop next to me and reached over to grab my hand.

"I know it's been a rough few months for you," she said, smiling. "But, I'm glad to see that you haven't let it set you back."

I faked a smile as she leaned in for a hug.

If only she knew...

Of course, my parents didn't know everything; in fact, they hardly knew anything. I had told them an elaborate, fabricated version of the truth: that I hadn't gone home after the funeral and instead had taken the time to travel Europe and western Asia.

With the deep depression that I fell into after returning home, my parents could hardly ask any questions without drawing tears to my eyes. So, despite knowing that I was lying about what had really happened, they stopped asking questions.

When I came home to find that my landlord had kicked me out for not paying rent for three months, my parents welcomed me back in with open arms.

I couldn't have been more grateful to be back in their company, but it made me long for my independence again.

I hated seeing the pictures of Zak and I growing up that hung on the walls. Every time I turned a corner, I was reminded of him.

My parents had no clue. I couldn't bring myself to tell them.

As far as they could guess, he was on a secret government assignment for the military and couldn't be reached.

That was how I would leave it until the day came that I found it within myself to finally tell them the truth... all of the truth.

My mom pulled away from the hug and sighed.

"Oh!" she exclaimed, "I nearly forgot. There is something for you on the dining room table. It was delivered this afternoon while you were gone."