Chapter Thirty-Two - Part of The Plan

Narrative P.O.V.

Cain's body was twisted in an awkward angle on the tiny couch.

Although he knew that dreaming of sleep was unrealistic, he wanted to at least get comfortable.

Hearing Ella's deep and steady breathing as she slept made him jealous that he wasn't in the bed with her. His stubbornness had gotten the better of him and he had been a fool to turn her invitation down when she extended it.

However, he reminded himself that his self control only extended so far. While Cain was surprised that he had lasted those several minutes of their heated encounter without feeling the overwhelming need to mark her, he didn't know if the next time would be so pleasant.

As he watched the dying embers glowing in the hearth, Cain realized he'd been laying there for nearly four hours.

He felt the familiar numbness set in around his mouth as his gums began to swell so he sat up and walked into the bathroom, deciding not to fight it as he normally did.

Opening up the cabinet underneath the sink, he pulled out a plastic bag containing a liter of blood.

It was there for emergencies, but he was using it simply because he didn't want to leave the room while Ella was sleeping. He unscrewed the cap and began to drink.

It only took him a few moments to drain the bag completely.

Once finished, he wiped his mouth with a hand towel and threw that and the empty plastic bag into the trash can.

He walked back out into the bedroom but stopped suddenly.

Something was wrong.

He scanned the room but saw no sign of anything out of the ordinary. The door was still closed and locked and the windows were as well.

But he soon realized it wasn't what he could see, it was what he couldn't hear.

Ella wasn't breathing.

He rushed over to her and found that she was drenched in sweat. He pulled back the covers and picked her up in his arms.

Rushing from the room, he took several staircases down to the infirmary where Dr. Zosak was sleeping in his room.

Cain pounded on the door with his foot, shaking the whole wall.

He could hear the rushed shuffling behind the door before Dr. Zosak appeared, haphazardly putting on his glasses.

"What's wrong?" He asked, still half asleep.

"She's not breathing."

The doctor's eyes widened as he saw Ella. He hurriedly pushed Cain into an empty examination room.

He instructed Cain to lay her down on the cot before he placed a hand over her mouth and nose, feeling for an exhale. He shook his head, not feeling one before he leaned forward and placed two fingers on her neck.

"She still has a pulse," he told Cain.

He opened Ella's mouth to reveal a swollen tongue and a throat that was cherry red.

Immediately Cain saw Dr. Zosak's shoulders slump.

"Go get the nurses," he told Cain. "I'm going to see if I can get her airway back open."

Cain did as he was told, forgetting in that moment that he wasn't supposed to take orders from anyone but himself.

He ran down the hallway to the bunk room where a few of the nurses slept as they were on call.