Chapter Forty-Two - If It's Meant to Be...

Narrative P.O.V.

Dirt fell from the rafters in the ceiling. 

On the ground above their heads, a train rattled along its track.

Overhead lights were swinging from their cords, flickering as the room waited for the train to pass so they could continue their worried murmurs.

Jai checked his watch nervously before they all heard the cellar door open with squeaky hinges.

Heavy footfalls could be heard echoing down the hallway from the rotting wooden staircase and the entire room held their breath as the footsteps drew closer.

When Adam walked into the cellar to see nearly fifteen sets of worried eyes on him, he stopped.

"What's wrong?"

A collective sigh of relief could be heard around the room as Jace stood to his feet and walked over to his old friend. 

"Where is Cain?" He asked. 

Adam looked at Jace with narrowed eyes before turning to look around. 

"Shit..." he mumbled, realizing who was missing from the group. 

Adam ran a hand along his jaw as he turned back to Jace. 

"He'll be here any second." 

The door opened again and footsteps echoed along the hallway, everyone holding their breath once more. 

Evelyn walked into the room, her expression immediately morphing into one of concern upon seeing the defeated expression everyone else wore. 

"What happened?" 

Adam turned and looked at her solemnly before Evelyn felt her heart drop into her stomach. 

"She's with..." 

She trailed off as Adam nodded slowly. 

"We have to tell him," she said urgently, realizing the gravity of the situation they faced. 

Adam said nothing as he lifted his gaze over her shoulder to the brooding figure that stood in the shadows listening. 

No one had the courage to let their lungs breath, hearts beat or eyes blink as they all turned to see Cain standing in the hallway. 

He had managed to come in behind Evelyn, unnoticed.

Cain stepped out into the room, shadows cast along his face from the dull overhead lights. 

With dark eyes, he scanned the room and turned to face Jai. 

"Get out," Cain commanded. 

His eye contact with Jai was unflinching as the room around them shifted quickly, everyone dispersing out of the cellar.

"You two can stay," he said.

Although Cain's gaze hadn't lifted from Jai, Evelyn and Adam didn't need his focus to know that his words were directed at them. 

Cain allowed the silence that fell over the room to linger for a few agonizingly slow moments.

Jai stood slowly from the barrel on which he sat, taking a shaky breath as he did so.

"I'm sorry, Cain..."

His voice, though low and breathy, was laced with genuine sincerity.

"Me too," Daniel agreed.