Chapter Forty-Three - The Taste of Skin and Blood

Narrative P.O.V.

"Bullshit."

"It's the truth. She was supposed to be his mate, not mine," Cain said, his voice low.

Daniel sat back in his chair, feeling absolutely shocked.

Everyone was silent as Cain's words sunk in.

"How long have you known?" Jai asked, finally finding his voice.

Cain looked down at his feet and sighed.

"Almost a week," he admitted. "Whenever we were talking in the stairwell about the possibility that Jacob was alive, it just...clicked. Everything that has happened over the past few months with Zak and her Grandfather both trying to take her and the things that they said and the warnings they tried to give... I suppose it was all just pointing back to him."

Jai's eyebrows furrowed as he caught the inconsistency in Cain's words.

"But how did they know that the two of you thought that you were mates? Only a few people in the castle besides you and Ella knew."

Cain shook his head.

"Zosak told Jacob. He's the only one who would have known about the genetic osmosis that happened when I turned Jacob. No one else would have known any better. Although," he said, turning to look at his parents, "I'm sure you've known for quite a while. He probably told you that I would end up with Jacob's mate whenever he died, didn't he?"

Evelyn nodded.

"We should have told you-"

"Keep your apologies," Cain said quickly.

"Wait," Daniel interjected. "What?"

"You're talking about the Zosak? Our Zosak?" Jai asked.

Cain nodded.

"He's been helping Jacob by relaying vital information. Zosak knew our every move and he told Jacob everything."

"Holy shit..." Jai mumbled, running a hand down his face.

"So he knew Jacob was still alive this whole time?" Daniel asked. 

Cain nodded again.

"He's the one who kept Jacob alive and hidden whenever I thought I'd killed him."

Daniel noticed the way that Evelyn and Adam both reacted when Cain said this.

"Cain, even if you're right about Zosak and about her grandfather, you have to remember that Zak was successful in kidnapping her whenever she left the cabin in Kashmir," Jai pointed out. "Why would he arrange to bring her back to you then? And why the hell would he try to kill her when he was supposed to take her to Jacob?"

"Because he found out what Jacob was doing," Cain answered. "Remember when we were on the roof... he said something, something along the lines that I shouldn't have marked her, that she was better off dead."

"That's a sick, twisted way of trying to protect someone," Jai said pointedly.

Cain scoffed.