Chapter Five - Hearts Beat Faster

Ella's P.O.V.

"Here's where you'll be staying."

Jai opened the bedroom door and pulled my suitcase inside the room for me.

I followed him inside and cringed.

The room was huge, just like the rest of the place.

The ceiling was at least fifty feet tall. The dark paneling on the walls made the olive-colored curtains stand out, which hung beside a ginormous bay window that was in the center of the far wall.

One of the biggest beds I'd ever laid eyes on sat against the wall to my left. It had a four post bed frame that was a dark oak just like the paneling on the walls and the flooring.

The black duvet matched the pillows on the bed and the two black couches that were on the other side of the room.

The Victorian-style couches sat across from each other in front of a fireplace that was big enough for three grown men to stand beside each other inside it.

"Over there is your bathroom," Jai said, pointing to a door that was on the same wall as the fireplace.

We heard someone walk into the room and I turned around to see Daniel standing in the doorway.

"Like it?" He asked.

I looked awkwardly between Daniel and Jai.

"Guys, this room is huge. Beautiful, but huge. Do you not have anything smaller?"

Jai shook his head.

"None that aren't already being used," he said.

I caught a fleeting glimpse of confusion on Daniel's face as he looked at Jai, but it was gone just as quickly as it had come.

"You can settle in a little later," Daniel said. "I want you to come with me."

Daniel led the way out of the room and Jai followed us closely, closing the bedroom door behind us as we left.

"Okay, so you're going to meet the girl that Cain told you had a paper trail together for the other men this had happened to," Daniel said. "Thing is, she doesn't really know what she's doing, so we're replacing her with you."

"What makes you think I know what I'm doing?" I asked.

Daniel laughed.

"Trust me," he said. "This girl has a total of four brain cells. Dogs could do a better job."

"Then why did she get the job in the first place?" I asked

"Question of the century," Jai chimed in.

Daniel rolled his eyes.

"Look, she's hot," he said to me. "I didn't know when I met her that she could barely spell her name or else I wouldn't have given her that job."

We walked along the long hallway and I looked at the paintings and tapestries that were hung on the wall as we passed them.