Chapter 2

*2 years later*

"Happy birthday Demi!" I gave my best friend the biggest hug in the world. She was having a party today and she was finally 10 and we were finally the same age. I handed her my present that my mom helped me pick out since I didn't know what girls really liked. My brothers came in after me and handed her a couple small presents too. They've gotten to know Demi over the past couple years and grew fond of her and treated her like she was family. My brothers would tease me every now and then about me liking her and every time I would tell them "we're just friends" and they would roll their eyes. Why can't a girl and a guy be friends without people saying something about them liking one another.

"Thanks Joe! Thanks for coming too" She hugged me back and then let go. She thanked my brothers for coming too and we all headed to her backyard.

"I wouldn't have missed it for the world. Now we're finally the same age" I nudged her.

"Yeah and you can stop bragging too about how you're 10 and how I was 9" She put her present on the present table.

She had her family around and her relatives too. The party was small but it was fine since Demi wasn't into big parties anyways. We played in the bounce house she got and it was a lot of fun. Then it was time for cake I sat next to Demi as she blew out her candles and everyone clapped and cheered. I then got an idea. I swiped some frosting off the cake and wiped it on Demi's face. She gasped and everyone started laughing. She got her revenge when she got frosting on my face too. The flashes from cameras were going off during our frosting war and the laughing from our families got louder. Demi and I started laughing as we got more frosting on one another. Our moms told us to look at the camera and smiled for a picture and we did. They then handed us a rag to get the frosting off of us. Demi and her family got a picture together and we ate the cake.

"I love the cake Demi it's really good!" I spoke with a mouthful of cake. She was poking at her cake with a fork before she looked up and smiled at me.

"Thanks. My mom picked it out" She kept poking at her cake. I was eyeing her suspiciously. Why wasn't she eating her own cake?

"Why aren't you eating your cake, Demi?" I said before I took in another bite.

"I'm not that hungry that's all. I had a big lunch earlier" She pushed her plate away. Only a few bites were taken out of it. I furrowed my brows then shrugged my shoulders. It was probably nothing.

When we were done eating cake it was time for the presents. She got clothes and a bunch of other girly things from her family members. Then she got to my birthday present. She took out the tissue paper from the bag and picked up the dress. It was flower print and was blue. There were oooo's and ahh's from the parents. Demi smiled wide at it and she digged into the bag and found a matching pair of earrings also. Thank goodness for my mom. She then read my card and smiled at me. She gave me a big hug which I returned. The cooing of the parents happened again and I mentally rolled my eyes since if I knew I rolled them my mom would yell at me later about being rude.

"Thanks Joe. I love them!" That made my heart warm knowing that she liked it. She finished opening her presents before we played in her bounce house again. When her party was over and everyone left we were still bouncing in the bounce house. We kept laughing and did tricks. My mom then told me we had to go and Demi and I were both bummed. When we got to the glass sliding door that lead to the inside of her house I stopped her and reached into my pocket.

"I have one more gift for you" I pulled out the bracelet in my pocket and put it on her wrist. It was black with bits of gold in it. She stared at it in aw.

"It's a friendship bracelet" She spoke out.

"Yeah. I have a matching one too" I showed her my bracelet I was wearing on my wrist.