5 The Collector

Mr. Herbert's entry hall rivalled the London Museum of Art's in beauty. Every available space upon the ornate wood paneling was covered in beautiful renaissance paintings or sculpted busts of ancient philosophers. I had reigned in my wonder and curiosity at the museum when the old curator was leading us through the decorated halls but I saw no reason to show such restraint here in the foyer with no one present but a distracted Mr. Langley. I was admiring a particularly detailed sculpture of Socrates when the tall oaken doors at the end of the hall creaked open to reveal a balding middle aged man in the finest suit I had ever seen, black at the jacket and a deep plum purple at the lapel, a material that would have cost far more than a month's profits at my father's shop. He spared me the barest passing glance before his gaze settled onto my employer. Mr. Langley had not occupied himself with enjoying the displayed artwork around us as I had, choosing instead to focus on the massive clock hanging above us, a protruding bulb in the style of a London train station timepiece.

"Good morning, Mister..."

"Langley," Mr. Langley interjected in introduction, shaking the wealthy gentleman's hand as he did.

"Mr. Langley," Mr. Herbert repeated. "What can I do for you?"

"The curator at the museum sent me," Mr. Langley said. I glanced at him from my place near the wall. That was not entirely the truth. "I regret to inform you that your prized Guillard painting which you loaned the museum has been stolen."

Mr. Herbert's reaction was very strange. He seemed more disappointed than shocked. I was not the only one who noticed.

"You are not surprised?" my employer questioned.

"Unfortunately, no," Mr. Herbert said. "I had hoped the painting would be safer at the museum but it seems I was wrong."

"Safer," Mr. Langley repeated. "so you had reason to believe that someone might be trying to steal it?"

Mr. Herbert looked up at him then, his sorrow changing at once to suspicion as he narrowed his gaze.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Langley, I did not catch what you said your occupation was."

"No need to apologize," my employer answered jovially. "I did not disclose. I am an investigator with Scotland Yard, you see. I have been assigned the case of the stolen painting. You seem to know something of the theft?"

"I have another Guillard here in my house. I've added extra security since I heard of the others going missing."

"Others?"

Mr. Herbert looked rather uncomfortable all of a sudden. He cleared his throat and glanced around as if looking for an escape from Mr. Langley's poignant questions.

"How... how official of a capacity are you involved in Scotland Yard, Mr. Langley?" he asked.

"Fairly unofficial," my employer confessed. "In truth, I am more of a consulting private investigator whose services they have acquired to help find this art thief."

"I see. Well, you should know. Quite a few of these paintings have been stolen but many of the owners have not reported them missing due to the... not entirely legal way in which they were acquired."

Mr. Langley raised a brow at the confession.

"What do you mean?" he asked.

"Well, I was not aware of it at the time but it seems that... the auction that I bought these paintings at had not exactly verified the seller's authenticity."

"What do you mean?"

"The paintings were not being sold by the artist himself, you see. I mean, they couldn't be. Given what happened. But none of us knew at the time about that so we cannot be held responsible for purchasing something at auction that-"