Lemon Cookies and an Unpleasant Surprise(Josie)

The ladie's overlapping conversations and chatter echoed throughout the quaint drawing-room. The atmosphere at first impression was light and giddy, filled with feminine gossip. On second glance, an outsider might notice the slight undertone of anxiousness, uncertainty, and overly optimistic attitudes about the war. The women's fingers seemed to move quicker than usual, faltering every now and then as they sewed, and not one woman didn't have at least one fleeting thought about the devastating war and concern about the future, their families, and their country. Sure, some of the ladies threw on their best facade of confidence, but deep down, their stomachs churned and their hearts were troubled. 

The sun shown brightly through the windows, casting its brightness on Josie. Most women preferred being pale, or as Mrs. Winter put it, "effortlessly ivory", but Josie loved the feeling of the warm sun on her skin and decided it was well worth a few minutes here and there of sun exposure to enjoy the relaxing warmth. 

Josie set down her half sewen shirt to grab a lemon cookie. She took a bite of the dainty cookie and quickly covered her mouth to conceal her grimace. Mrs. Atridge cooked well, but she was truly an awful baker. How her family survived off of her ghastly baked goods was a mystery to her. At least it smelled somewhat nice.

"Well, you could at least pretend to like the cookie, Josie," Mrs. Atridge chuckled.

Josie gulped down the piece of cookie with a forced smile. "Oh, it's not that bad. Just, I think you forgot the butter and eggs?" 

"Goodness, Mary, how on earth do you make such dreadful desserts?" Mrs. Winter piped up loudly, her petite nose scrunched up in disgust, not bothering to hide her feelings. 

Mrs. Atridge huffed and rolled her eyes, "Then don't eat my desserts."

Mrs. Winter's frown turned into a scowl. "Perhaps we need to hold a cooking class next week instead." 

Josie bit back a laugh. How Mrs. Atridge and Mrs. Winter were best friends was a mystery to her and the rest of the ladies. They bickered like an old married couple, and it was hilarious to watch.

"Anywho, ladies, has anyone heard from their husbands?" Ms. Green asked, swiftly changing the subject and giving the two bickering women a pointed look. 

Josie listened carefully as the women shared their husband's letters out loud, and the wives who hadn't received a letter yet shift uncomfortably in their seat as they told the group they had yet to hear from their husband. She was deeply concerned about the latter, because of what she had seen in the tents.

"Mrs. Atridge, has your husband written you?" she asked her friend on the side. 

Mrs. Atridge shook her head, her eyes cast downward. "No, I figured I would have heard from him by now since it's been awhile, but no such luck. I wish I could know that he at least made it to his unit, or whatever they call it, safely."

Josie placed a hand on top of Mary's hand in attempt to comfort her. "I'm sure he's ok. You've said before that he usually gets so caught up in the moment that he can only focus on one thing at a time. Perhaps he just hasn't had the time, or the letter is delayed," Josie said tenderly. Though her words were encouraging, Josie couldn't help but see the dozens of injured men lying in the tent, unsure if they were going to live another day. She prayed that Mrs. Atridge's husband was not among the wounded.

"Perhaps. Only time will tell I suppose," Mrs. Atrdige trailed off, her eyes sad despite her encouraged smile. 

Josie finished sewing what would become a soldier's undershirt and a bundle of bandages by the time the ladies were wrapping up the sewing circle for the day. 

"You will deliver it directly to Mrs. Hanson for the Sanitary Commission, correct?" Mrs. Winter asked Josie curtly as she was walking through the front door.  

"Yes, I will be giving the items to her today. I hope your children are well," Josie replied kindly, though no smile was evident on her face. She was downright exhausted from Mrs. Winter's constant volatile and severe attitude. Josie wondered if the wintery woman was capable of smiling. She had yet to witness it, and the war seemed to make her attitude worsen. 

"Good. Our soldiers will be needing fresh supplies and clothing as soon as possible. We must continue to do our duty in a timely fashion."

Josie nodded, "Absolutely." 

After the women had made their departure, and Josie was helping Ms. Green straighten up her house and clean, there was another knock at the door. 

"Ms. Green, were you expecting another guest?" Josie inquired curiously. Ms. Green loved having visitors, as she couldn't travel around the town too much because of her old age, but she usually told Josie who was coming over and when.

Ms. Green appeared around the corner with a look of youthful glee on her face. "Oh yes, I was expecting someone. Please, dear, will you answer the door for me? My hips are ailing me so. I believe I need to sit down for awhile."

Josie didn't know why Ms. Green was acting so excited, but as soon as she opened the door, she knew exactly why. William was standing at the door with a pained smile and a look of dread on his youthful face. He was clad in a vibrant, crisp, blue Union uniform and black boots. The lad was short, stocky, and reminded Josie of a fat rat. Maybe she was being too harsh on the poor boy, but his beedy eyes, plump figure, and stringy black hair was strikingly close to that of a rodents.

"Oh, William, what a surprise! Have you come to talk to Ms. Green? She's just right here, sitting on the-" Josie paused mid-sentence as she looked at the spot on the couch where Ms. Green should have been but was no longer. That sneaky woman, Josie thought.

"Erm, she seems to not be around..." William trailed off, shifting back and forth on his feet uncomfortably. "So, uh, can I come in? Ms. Green and my dad have been talking and-"

Josie was staring wide-eyed at William, battling a mixture annoyance, surprise, and the strong urge to make a run for it.

"Are you ok? You look like you've swallowed a lemon." William said, scratching the back of his greasy hair with a concerned look on his pudgy face. 

"No, no, I'm fine. Let me go find Ms. Green so that you can speak to her about whatever it is that you came here for," Josie replied hurriedly, trying her best not to sound rude or look like she had swallowed a lemon. Had she really looked that disgusted? 

"Ms. Green! There you are! My goodness, you have a way with disappearing at the most awful times. William is here, and I don't want to speak to him..." Josie trailed off, seeing the women's pursed lips and pointed look. 

"You mustn't be impolite. He's here to discuss some things with you and I am simply your chaperone. Now go on, don't leave the poor boy waiting at the door too long. It's rude," Ms. Green replied with a triumphant smirk. She was matchmaking, and her plan was working ever so perfectly. 

Josie grit her teeth and strode back into the main room, knowing better than to go against an elder's wish. 

"William, won't you come in?"

*** A/N: If you're enjoying the story, please consider voting or commenting. It means a lot!!

What do you guys think William has to discuss with Josie?