C h a p t e r O n e

Luna's best friend from high school was Rafael Nadal, so the chances of her surviving a lifetime without any tennis entering it were fairly slim

Luna's best friend from high school was Rafael Nadal, so the chances of her surviving a lifetime without any tennis entering it were fairly slim. Luna quite liked the game. She preferred football, as did the majority of Spain, but tennis was so completely different to football that she managed to find room in her heart for both of them. Rafa, who'd absolutely adored Luna from practically the moment he'd met her in ninth grade, took the brunette with him wherever he went. Since her own parents died when she was almost too young to remember them, Rafa was the closest thing she had to family. This did mean they occasionally argued like real siblings, but they shared a very close bond that had helped them through tough times. Luna's official occupation was a youtuber, and travelling so much allowed her to create more unique content. Her unofficial occupation was keeping Rafa company, since his own family and girlfriend couldn't always be with him.

"You coming to watch today?" Rafa asked her, entering her hotel room without knocking. Luna barely batted an eyelid. She was used to Rafa.

"Course I'm coming," she turned to grin at him. "Most entertaining player in the world vs Rafa Nadal. Wouldn't miss it."

Rafa rolled his eyes.

"I really hate Kyrgios," he muttered.

"And he hates you, so it's all square I guess," Luna smiled at him brightly. And then as her best friend continued to pout: "Come on Rafa, he gets under your skin, it happens. Just beat him today and get over it."

"Of course I'm going to beat him," said Rafa with a smirk, and Luna nodded.

"That's more like it! Let me put my shoes on, and I'm coming."

They were in Australia for the Australian Open, the first grand slam tournament of the year. The tournament didn't start for another few weeks though, and in the meantime, Rafa was playing in a warmup tournament, best of three sets, and would be playing Nick Kyrgios in today's game. Luna had mixed thoughts about the bad boy Australian with the wild haircut. She really felt as though she should despise him on Rafa's behalf, but every time she saw him play he brought a smile to her face. The guy knew how to entertain a crowd, that was for sure. But sometimes he seemed to let his emotions run away with him. Rafa said he had bad manners, and had no respect for his opponent, his fans, or even himself, but Luna wasn't convinced. She had met Nick once or twice before when she'd been on tour with Rafa, and he seemed a nice enough guy. Not that she'd ever tell her best friend that, of course.

The mostly Australian crowd was well and truly up for the game, half because one of their own was playing, and half because the best player in the world was playing. Luna smiled proudly at the Spanish flags up in the stands, as she took her seat in the box behind Rafa's side of the court. The brunette turned to smile at Maribel, Rafa's sister, who was already there.

"Hey Luna," the Spaniard smiled.

"Hey you," Luna replied with a grin, reaching over to give the younger girl a hug. "I didn't know you were here. When did you get in?"