31| Silver Oak Academy

Začít od začátku

“He’s honest.” Cloud remarks slyly. “It's refreshing.”

Helel smirks, producing a shiny black box from his pocket. “I’m sure.”

“Is that for me?”

Helel nods his head, placing the smooth box in his hands, his touch lingering as if considering if he should go through with it.

“What is it?” Cloud inquires, shaking it next to his ear but unable to hear any sound coming from within.

“How about you open it and find out.” Helel offers, playfully rolling his eyes.

Cloud does as instructed, opening the box to find a black dragon design tungsten Viking ring with an intricate golden design engraved into its circumference.

He takes the ring out and slips it on his finger, inspecting it a little closer in the light as the black metal warms up where it comes in contact with his skin.

“It's beautiful.”

“It's a Flamestone. It'll generate fire for you to channel which will be faster and simpler to use over Creation magic.”

That was something Cloud had discovered himself which is why he spent the last few days training with his silver lighter but Cloud can already tell that the Flamestone will be a lot more convenient moving forward.

“Thanks.”

The driver impatiently honks his horn, so Helel decides not to hold him up any longer.

Cloud walks towards the car, stopping when his hand grabs the door handle.

He has spent weeks dreaming of this moment, dreaming of taking his first steps at discovering the truth for himself, he should be more excited but instead it turns out he isn't as ready to leave as he first thought.

A small part of him is stuck in this place, potentially a part of him that he will never get back once this is all over.

Cloud looks back at the house, catching the smallest shift in one of the curtains, deciding to leave before they can catch him looking back a second time.

During the car ride to the Academy, Cloud tries to strike up conversation but his driver seems more interested in getting rid of him as soon as possible.

When they finally arrive at the black gates, Cloud notices that there are a bunch of other identical cars already parked up.

Teams of four unload each vehicle, looking like a marching band of ants heaving the heavy luggage of the other students up the steps leading to the entrance.

Cloud narrowly avoids bumping into a literal golden chest being brought in before strolling through the empty halls of South Silver Oak Academy, checking out a few of the pictures on the wall as he passes by, noticing how some of the images move like living pictures.

He walks in relative silence with only the sound of his shoes scuffing against the shiny floors keeping him company.

The only time he stops is to take a quick peek at the common room, peeking through the crack in the door, catching sight of a giant tapestry-like image where the figures dance around the image like inky phantoms.

With everyone missing, he assumes they must have been taken into the main hall, vaguely remembering his way there which leads to him spending at least two extra minutes finding the same double doors as before.

The heavy doors groan as he pushes them apart, resulting in a sea of heads to turn on him all at once, completely obliterating his plans of slipping in unnoticed.

“Perfect, just on time.” The Professor cheers, beckoning him forth. “Come, come, right to the front.”

Cloud avoids catching the eyes of the seated students, picking out random details in order to calm his nerves as he fails to find a friendly face amongst them.

Blonde. Blue shoes. Glasses. Earrings. Acne.

When he looks at the Professor he can't help but notice he isn't wearing his usual getup, dressed in a tailored black suit, a white shirt and grey waistcoat, replacing his gloves and cane for a golden watch instead.

Cloud joins the line of five students, recognising only one and that would be the scary guy with the bionic arm.

He wonders if they were late too but he's sure that isn't the case when they all look so polished in their presentation.

“And I have chosen Cloud Jefferson as the final Head Acolyte, representing the first year students of the Fire Faction.”

The two sides of the room clap politely at the announcement, clearly drained after having to do the same six times over but the announcement hits Cloud like a tonne of bricks, wondering if this is a gift or a punishment.

Cloud scratches his head, looking around the room, trying to figure out if he heard right or if he's begun losing his mind all over again. “Excuse me? What just happened?”

Elijah politely taps Cloud on the back, being the very first person to give his congratulations. “Welcome to Silver Oak Academy, rule number one, never show up late.”