Chapter Nine

“Why were you both late?” our homeroom teacher asked both Zayn and I once we were all seated down again.

“Hey, we arrived a minute right before the bell. That isn’t late, is it?” Zayn challenged with a little of rudeness on his tone.

That was mean, snapping back at the teacher. I mean, it could get us in a deeper trouble. But, he’s got a point, though…

“Watch your tone, lad. You know, I can give you detention anytime…” the teacher said, getting a bit red with embarrassment with what Zayn just challenged him. It was obvious he wanted to change the subject.

“But he was right. We did arrive a minute before bell.” I said.

The teacher then, became redder as some students began laughing. He faced me.

“Same goes with you young lady… I never thought you would make me upset this bad.” He said, again directing the conversation to something else. Honestly, he was really taking this issue too seriously! Oh puh-lease!

“She did nothing wrong. She was just pointing out the truth.” Zayn said, enjoying every single moment of this. Though I don’t even see a reason why.

“That’s it! Detention for you...” he pointed at Zayn, “and you,” he pointed at me. Then he left the room, his face as red as a tomato.

The second he was gone, the whole class burst out laughing. Never thought making the teacher so mad would be this funny! And maybe a little fun... I can see why Zayn enjoyed it now… Good thing my parents aren’t home or they’d kill me if they knew I had detention.

Our first subject teacher came in and as if on cue, the class stopped laughing.

“Why are you guys laughing? Never seen you guys this happy for music class” our music teacher said, while she dumped her bag on the teacher’s table.

No one answered. And to kill the awkward silence, our teacher started blabbing about our new lesson.

I felt someone tug me from beside. It was Zayn. I looked at him a little puzzled when I noticed I was the only one who was standing. I quickly took my seat, feeling my face grow hot. I quickly buried my face behind my music notebook, not wanting to see the class see my as-red-as-a-tomato face.

“So, I’ll see you in detention later,” Zayn told me. I saw him wink at the corner of my eye.

Oh, this will be a long, long day...

I’ve never been in detention before. Detention is just like a study hall where you’re all alone with whoever you are supposed to be having detention with. It is a small room, really, like an interrogation room. You know what I mean? The walls were painted white and there were nothing else there but tables and a camera. Weird, they expect us to sit on them. The tables, I mean. They didn’t even put chairs! The camera was very, very tiny. If you don’t know there is one, you wouldn’t know it’s there! “How did you find it then?” you might ask. Well, I think I got super bored that I just scanned and observed the room really carefully. I have good eyesight, thank you.

Okay, back to the “boredom” thing…

Just five minutes in that room was enough to drive me crazy, much less two whole hours!

As soon as we entered the room, we heard the door knob click. The teacher must’ve locked us in. What kind of detention is this?! Zayn immediately sat on the table at the table near the door and took out his mirror and comb. I, on the other hand, sat on the table farthest from him, which is right in front of the camera. I just sat there, staring it like some crazy hobo. They took our backpacks and all of my things are there. What do you expect me to do? Stare at Zayn instead? No way, I like the look of a white wall better than his stupid face.