In Which Waters Are Still

It's not the warm, wonderous reunion he'd imagined various times in his daydreams expected. She's still colder than she was before she discovered the bracelet was in his possession. But now she looks at him when he addresses her--Rather, now he actually addresses her and she allows him to. The idea that he needs her permission to do anything is, while irritating, well accepted. The younger highblooded crowd doesn't notice, but his seniors certainly do. Subtleties only begin to register after fourth year, it seems.

His usual cohort, however, certainly notices. They even make room for her to sit down whenever she nears their lunch table (she's yet to accept the sitdown invitation), with minimal quips from Katux and Druella. When she's gone is when their absurd twittling begins. Cheeky this and rude that and can't they just shut up for longer than five seconds about Ximena, he'll hex off their teeth.

One look is enough to shut them up. In the future, it'll be enough to keep them from talking.

Hedwig, while teasing and annoying, at least is respectful. Sort of. As much as her vulgar self can be. She never calls Ximena anything she wouldn't call her own sister. Or himself. Which still includes a glossary of crude words. He sees them sometimes walking out of the girl's side of the dormitory together--Hedwig chatting to her about pureblood culture the same way she taught him before. A strange parallel. But good. It's another proper step to place Ximena into his inner circle. Another thing he can relate to with her. He's already thinking about the shared topics of conversation.

On the other hand, there's Nemesis. She smiles when she looks at Ximena, and she looks relieved when she sees that she and he are speaking again. Is this what selflessness is like? To want your friend to be happy beyond your own wants? Strange. She still looks at him wistfully, though. That's annoying. He almost wishes he never told her the courtship was fake. Nemesis is well-raised enough to not encroach. And not brave enough to confess and try to fight for him. But oh well. Hindsight and all that. What's important is that Nemesis makes Ximena feel welcome, even if it does seem like the two of them are closer to each other than they are to him these days...

Evan is the odd one. He doesn't comment at all. Merely greets Ximena cordially as he would any other pureblooded girl. Naturally, he suspects that Ximena is suspicious of this, because he hardly acknowledged her before all this--And with the whole Ian incident, well, it's probably in her best interest to be wary. And that's smart. He expects that of her. Even if she should learn to trust the same people he does.

It's good to know his closest company knows how to behave. It tells him he chooses his people well. Just like he chose Ximena well. Even if she's not on board yet.

As for his Puff, she's congratulated him on 'doing the right thing'. Even gave him a little wink (of all things) and asked how the biscuits were--And that's when he remembers that he made them. For Ximena. From scratch--He had dropped them aside to pay attention to Ximena's impromptu lecture. And...They ate them. They were good. They had ginger in them[1]. Not too sweet. A lovely, soft texture that crumbled in his mouth. She didn't comment on them, but she ate them without complaint (why hasn't she commented on them? Did she eat them to be polite? Did she hate them? He was sure she'd like them--) so...

Tom thanked Elle for her guidance. And advice. She really did know what she was talking about. In food, transfiguration, and matters of friendship. An excellent choice in Puff, he's lucky he was able to snatch her up when he did. Why wasn't she in higher demand with his fellow Slytherins? Oh right, her blood. Typical. Overlooking such brilliance for something so arbitrary. He'll fix that.

As for Elle, he should do something nice for her. To show his appreciation. Repay his debt. Of course, it would usually be enough to have him as a snake, but she deserves more than that. Perhaps he can do her a favor? It is because of her (partly) that he's able to sit here and be an actual participant in this conversation.