Liliya burst into laughter. "Cloud Kingdom? That's not a legend, that's a children's fairytale!"

Flapping the book's cover, he said, "Not according to this book."

"You don't actually believe in a fairytale, do you?" She chuckled.

"Fairytale? No," said Nyron. "But legends are always based on truth."

Liliya stared at him, a dozen solid arguments racing through her head. He was a grown man! How could he still believe in a fairytale?

But something in his eyes, wide and innocent, stopped her from saying all the things she wanted to say. If he wanted to believe in Cloud Kingdom, why ruin his dreams? If anything, it was kind of cute.

She let out a chuckle and grabbed one of her books. "Well, as long as there's still a chance that you'll be my boss at some point, I guess I better not laugh at you."

His smile widened and he sat up. "Indeed you shouldn't. Well then, if we're going to be studying together, let me buy you a coffee."

Perhaps it was all the coffee, but when Liliya stepped outside the library that evening, she felt surprisingly upbeat, despite the fact that she had barely more than a lead, if one could even call it that, on her potioneering problem

Perhaps it was all the coffee, but when Liliya stepped outside the library that evening, she felt surprisingly upbeat, despite the fact that she had barely more than a lead, if one could even call it that, on her potioneering problem. The sun had already hid itself behind a cloudless night. Yet something inside her glowed bright enough to dispel the evening chill. Lifting the borrowed book up to her chest, she turned to see Nyron exiting the building right behind her, carrying an aged tome on Old World folklore.

"Thank you for joining me today, Liliya," said Nyron as he pulled a hand through his hair to straighten it, his earring gleaming under the streetlights. "This was nice."

"It was," she agreed.

"Come, let me walk you home." He gestured towards the sidewalk, passers-by barely giving each other a glance.

"No, don't be silly, you need to get to your pub, don't you?"

"That's okay, I'm sure the drunkards can wait." He grinned at his own joke.

"Don't let them hear you say that." Liliya giggled. "Honestly, though, I'll be fine. Go and open your pub."

Nyron hesitated, but nodded. "Alright then. But you'll have to let me buy you another coffee sometime. Deal?"

"Deal." Liliya smiled as she hugged the book to her chest, trying her best to ignore the butterflies that seemed to have found their way into her stomach.

With an awkward wave goodbye, Liliya crossed the road and set off towards home. She felt his eyes on her back until the very moment she rounded the corner, all the while chiding herself for acting like a needy teenager. She was a grown woman, for God's sakes, there was no need to get all flushed and giggly.

She sighed into the evening air, wondering, not for the first time, what she'd gotten herself into. Despite the darkness of night, Manassa city seemed brighter now, the passers-by happier. She couldn't wait to get home and tell her mum about her day. In fact, her mum was probably waiting for her.

To get home quicker, she decided to take a shortcut through the alleyway between the tall flats. The alleyway reeked, which was probably why nobody ever went this way, but even that didn't matter to Liliya tonight.

She was barely halfway through the alley, when a noise like a pebble skipping across the pavement made her jump. She turned her head around, but without any streetlights around, shadows covered the way.

She shook her head, but picked up her pace anyway. Just a few more blocks. She couldn't shake an itch in her neck, as if someone was following her, watching her every move.

Once she'd exited the alleyway, the streetlights made her feel safer again, though there still weren't many people around. This part of the city was a bit quieter. Here, at the edge of Manassa, there were no shops or pubs, and the houses were a bit farther apart.

Getting ready to cross the road, she looked over her shoulder. At the corner of the alley she'd just come out of, stood a man with a bald head and tattoos covering his bare arms. Hadn't she seen him before? Wasn't he at the library as well?

Picking up her pace to a near-sprint, Liliya dashed through the quiet neighbourhood. Not much further now. Almost there. Her heart drummed against her ribcage, every muscle in her body tensing up. She dared another glance over her shoulder, but not seeing anyone did not make her feel any better. Where did he go?

The darkness of the evening suddenly felt pressing, the streetlights blinding. Every little sound seemed like an attack on her ears, a dog barking in the distance, a door slamming shut, someone's angry shouting at the end of the street.

Her keys trembled in her hands as she stood before the front door of her apartment building. She nearly dropped them in her haste, glancing over her shoulder as she fumbled with them. When she finally found the right key, she jammed it into the keyhole and stumbled inside, slamming the door shut behind her. The book dropped out from under her arm and dropped to the floor with a hollow thud.

Finally safe, Liliya stood wheezing in the concrete-lined hallway, staring at the door and listening to her own raging heartbeat. Could he really have been following me? Why would he? I don't even know who that guy is.

As the door stayed shut and her heart calmed, Liliya sighed. Whatever it was, it was over now. She picked her book up off the floor and made her way up the stairs to her apartment.

"Mum?" she called as she entered her living room. "I'm home!"

On her way to her mum's room, she cast a glance out the window. All was still, except for a lone figure strolling off at the end of the street.