Chapter 6

Liliya pressed the button for the pedestrian traffic light and let her gaze wander over the huge, beautiful building across the road. Its imposing circular walls stood proud, its glass dome, which covered the roof, sticking out over all the other buildings in the area.

With its thousands upon thousands of books, it was the second largest library on the planet. It was named the Library of Alexandria, and she'd once been told, by an over-eager history teacher, that it was the first library to be built on the planet, named after something from the Old World; before the humans came to Tezyl.

But Liliya wasn't here for the history. Quite the opposite, in fact; she was here for the latest discoveries in modern potioneering and herbology.

The library was her last chance. Her last shot at saving her job. If she couldn't find anything today, she had no choice but to cave and ask Nyron for a job.

The traffic light turned green and Liliya crossed the road and entered the library. She made her way up three flights of stairs to the potioneering section.

Let's see now... The Potioneer's Pocketbook? No, too simple. I need something more in depth.

She let her finger glide over the leather-bound and cardboard covers.

Wells' Complete Magical draughts? Possibly... But I'm looking for something more recent.

Her eyes skimmed the titles as she strolled down the potioneering aisle. Too broad. Too specific. Too old.

Ooh, what's that? Her fingers landed on a midnight-blue cover with flashy letters that read: Potioneering in the fourth Tezyllian century: a review.

She pulled it out of the bookcase and dropped the heavy book into her left arm. It was a start, at the very least. On the same shelf Liliya found a few more books looking similarly promising. With an arm full of books and a hopeful heart, she made her way to the reading area in the centre of the third floor.

The reading area was filled with tables. Rows and rows of hardwood tables, most of which were taken by students. Thanks to its endless amount of information, the library was a popular place to study.

Liliya navigated between the tables searching around for an empty spot, when instead she spotted a head full of wild blond hair. Is that...?

She pushed past the tables to the corner of the area, pulling a chair back just as Nyron looked up. A smile spread across his face.

"Liliya!"

"Hey. Mind if I join you? Only because everything else is full," she added with a smile.

"Sounds like you don't have another option," said Nyron, gesturing for her to sit down.

"Thanks," she said, taking a seat.

"Ah," said Nyron, his eyes on the books she brought along. "I see you're trying your hardest to avoid working for me?"

"My very hardest," Liliya nodded. "No offense."

He grinned. "None taken. I would probably do the same."

"What about you, what are you doing here?"

He lifted his book up from the table so that Liliya could see the cover. "I'm learning all about myths and legends."

Her eyebrows raised. "Right. And that ties in to being a barkeeper... how exactly?"

"It doesn't," he laughed. "It's just an interesting subject. Did you know that Cloud Kingdom isn't actually as far away as the stories say?"