Ch.13 Bitter Luck

-Your pov

I remember. I remember everything. I opened my eyes hoping to see Maria standing in front of me. She wasn't. I slowly got up and looked around the room.

"Maria?!" I shouted hoping that she was somewhere in my "house".  There was something on the floor where she once stood. As I walked closer, I knew what it was. It was Maria back in her marionette form. Limp and held by strings. I carefully picked her up and tried not to cry. I wanted out. I wanted out now. I held her close as I ran out the door. There was not a single person on the streets. It was a ghost town. My breath was hoarse, but I didn't stop running. There has to be an end to this town. If Maria leaves and comes back every year then there has to be a way.    There has to.   I turned a corner to see a forest and a faint path. My hopes rose and I ran faster. But there was a fence saying that the way was closed. Why would it be closed? Is there something surrounding the town keeping me in? I held my breath as I reached out. I could feel an invisible wall. Almost like glass. The forest is nothing but a picture on the other side.

"There is no way out, is there." I said as tears fell from my eyes. I could feel his presence behind me.

"Why? Why did you trap me in here?" I asked fighting the urge to cry. I could hear him walking towards me.

"I was scared that you'd leave that night and never come back. It happened with so many, and I was afraid that it would happen again." He whispered. My breath was shaking, struggling to hold back my cries.

"I would never leave you Jason. I'm not like the others. You said yourself that night." I replied as I rested my head against the glass wall.

"I know. If I could take back everything I said and did wrong, I would." He said as tears continued falling down my face. I turned around and looked at him. His eyes looked full of regret.

"I should have trusted you like you trusted me. I messed up. The only thing I can really say to you is       I'm sorry. I'm sorry for everything. For hurting you." He finished. I couldn't keep myself together and I started crying. My legs gave out and I sat down on the pavement with Maria in my lap. Jason held his hand out as if he wanted to comfort me, but then he'd pull it away as if he was unsure. I quickly grabbed his hand and held onto it. He was sorry. Truly sorry. Jason got on one knee and wrapped his arms around me while I continued to cry.

"I want to go home." I said between sobs. I don't want to live in the dollhouse. It wasn't home for me anymore. I felt Jason carefully pick me up along with Maria. He walked to his blue door and the next thing I knew, I was back. He set me down on the couch before sitting next to me. I recognized Mr. Gluten as he slithered up to me and rested his head on my knees. I wiped away my tears while Mr. Bunny looked at me with his ears perked up. Liquorish raced around at my feet.

"You can't go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending." Jason said slowly before looking at me. 

"C.S     Lewis." He whispered before he started shaking slightly.

"Y/n,        if you want to leave, you can. I won't stop you. You can be gone as long as you need to." He said. I was confused and shocked. Jason was not the kind of person that would let someone go so easily.

"J- Jason are you sure?" I asked before I could stop myself. Jason nodded his head as a few tears fell from his golden eyes.

"I won't let history repeat. I want to do what I should have done long ago. To love you means that I must have the courage to give you freedom from h/t. To have the strength to let you go. And to trust you and hope that you won't forget me." He said before grabbing a suitcase full of my real clothes and trinkets and setting it in front of me.

"Jason, you don't have to-" I said as he pulled out multiple hundred dollar bills.

"I want to Y/n. I want to make this right. The way I should have." He interrupted while giving me the money.

"Goodbye dear Y/n." He said as his voice cracked before he turned away. His heart is breaking. He is testing his emotional and mental limits doing this. I sighed and walked over to him. I made him turn and face me.

"Wait for me. I will return to you Jason. I promise." I whispered. He wiped away his tears and held his pinky out.

"I won't pinky promise this time Jason. I want to promise you differently." I said while swinging his hands gently side to side. He was confused when I brought him closer pulling him into a kiss. He let go of my hands and held onto me. My lips eventually separated from his before I wrapped my arms around him.

"This promise I will not break.    Goodbye Jason." I whispered before letting go. I said farewell to Mr. Bunny, Liquorish, and Mr. Gluten before I stepped through the blue door and into an alley. Hopefully I will see some of the people trapped with me in the doll town again. I will return to Jason someday. When my wounds are healed, I will come back to him and love him more than ever.

-Jason pov

I couldn't hold myself together anymore. My breathing was everywhere as soon as the door closed and dear Y/n was gone. I couldn't stand. I set Maria down on my crafting table before I collapsed against the wall. I tried to silent my cries. I tried to pull myself back together. No such luck. I could barley hear Puppeteer's footsteps approaching.

"Jason! Are you ok?!" He shouted as he ran over to me and knelt in front of me. I quickly grabbed his shoulders.

"Puppeteer, promise me that no matter what I say or do, don't let me chase after her. Don't let me hunt her down. Keep me away from her for as long as she needs. I can't do this part on my own." I begged as tears continued to fall.

"Even if you'll hate me for it?" He asked with slight sorrow. We both knew that my request would be a threat to our friendship. I took a shaky breath as my cries faded away. 

"Even if." I replied before he took a deep breath and nodded his head. I couldn't help but laugh from the insanity taking over my mind.

"It's funny how luck is sometimes. How bittersweet it can be." I added before laughing a little more. I walked over to the doll town before I stopped my insane laughter.

"Luck?" Puppeteer asked obviously confused. I walked over to Y/n's broken doll I fixed. I felt as broken as her doll once was, but I will heal as time passes. I sighed and looked back at Puppeteer.

"To have someone like her in my life that makes saying goodbye so hard."