Ch.11 Truth of Reality

-Your pov

The streets were quieter than normal. Several people moved out in my neighborhood overnight. I found it strange and felt uneasy about it. My other neighbors felt the same way when I spoke to them this morning. I pushed the thoughts out of my head and continued to clean the house. I finished vacuuming and started dusting the shelves. I paused when I came across my old blue journal. I flipped through the pages reading bits and pieces of every dream. It was as if I was reading a story chapter by chapter. I flinched a little from the sound of someone knocking on my door. I put the book back on the shelf and rushed down the steps. I opened the door to see Maria. She looked upset about something. Almost like she was about to cry.

"Maria, what's wrong?" I asked while letting her in. She was shaking. I led her over to a chair to sit and talk, but she refused to sit down.

"It      it's quiet     in town today. I      was surprised that the shop         wasn't open today." Maria said. I was unsure if she was trying to avoid the topic or not, but I decided to go with it. 

"Yes it is. It's been rather empty around here as well." I replied as we wandered further into my house. Maria looked at me confused, yet she didn't look surprised. It was strange and concerning.

"Several of my neighbors have moved out. Even Anna left. She would be the last person to ever leave town." I added when we reached the living room. Maria started shaking a little and struggled to keep the tears forming in her eyes from falling.

"As long as we stay in touch I'll be ok." I finished hoping that it would calm Maria down a little. She looked at me for a while and took a deep breath.

"Y/n, they didn't move out.           Ken never left the state. Most everyone in this town are not real people." She said as tears started falling. She started crying.

"Maria, are you ok?" I asked before she shook her head.

"I- I can't do this anymore Y/n. You are my best friend. I don't want to hide this from you anymore." Maria said between cries as she rolled up her sleeves. Her limbs were jointed like a doll.

"What are you saying Maria? Why are your arms like this?" I asked before Maria took a shaky breath to prepare herself for whatever she was going to tell me.

"Almost every part of me is like this. Neck, wrists, arms, waist, fingers." She stated. I was still silent and confused. This has to be a dream, yet it looks too real to be one.

"I am a marionette. A puppet Jason made for you as a first day of school gift. I was one of your favorite toys for years. Tea parties with Mr. Bunny and Rose every morning. Dances in the evening. You always had me sitting next to you for dinner." She explained. I was speechless. Unsure about everything that I was witnessing and hearing.

"The only reason Ken apologized to you was because he was turned into a marionette. Most of the people in this town are just dolls you used to play with when you were a child." She added. I felt my breath hitch. I tried to convince myself that I'm dreaming, but it's too real.

"W-what?" Was all I could say as fear started creeping into my head. I was overwhelmed with questions that wouldn't leave my lips.

"Those dreams you had in your book. From the night you escaped the orphanage, to the day Mathew hit you. They're not dreams Y/n,    they are memories." She continued before my eyes widened. Her words were almost too much. 

"How can they be memories when I don't recall them even happening?" I asked. My fear grew as Maria got closer. She took both of her gloves off and was reaching for the sides of my face. Tears were falling down our cheeks as we stared into each others eyes. I wanted to back away, but I was too afraid to move.

"He took them all away before you came here. You must see them all in order to get them back.  To remember." Maria added while trying not to stutter. She took a deep shaky breath.

"I     I'm s-so sorry Y/n, but you must know. P-please forgive me for doing this to you my dearest friend." Maria said before she gently cupped my face. My vision was getting darker as if I was falling asleep. I struggled to stay on my feet and keep my eyes open. I was terrified of what I'll see when I close my eyes. What I'll remember.

"Maria!" I tried to shout, but it was nothing more than a whisper. I could hear Maria sniffling as she cried.

"Good-bye Y/n." She said between sobs before sleep took hold of me for one    last    dream.