Chapter 7

Nya's POV

Jay and I walk out to the parking lot. After seeing Cole, and also because we got closer, he was more than happy to invite me to eat lunch with him. He eats lunch in his car, so we're walking to his car. Once we reach it, he gets in the driver's seat and I get in the passenger.

"It's not as pretty as sitting under a tree, but it'll do," I joke, digging into my backpack to grab my notebook. When I get it, I hand him the drawing. "One bellflower drawing, just for you."

He takes it, examining it with a huge smile on his face. "Thank you."

"It was fun to draw. Besides, it gave me something to do that wasn't helping my brother clean the house that his friends completely thrashed."

"I didn't expect your brother to be Kai Smith. It makes sense though, with what I've heard about him from both you and other people," he reaches into his backpack to get his lunch. There's an apple, a pudding cup, and a sandwich.

"I wish he wasn't. I have to try to parent him, and he refuses to listen to me cause I'm his little sister," I take a bite of the carrots I packed, handing one to Jay. He takes it and eats it.

"Well, being an only child is boring, or at least it was when I was younger. It's less of a problem now."

"When we were younger, he actually cared about me. Now that he found out that girls find him attractive, he's only in it for himself," I rant.

"Don't let him get under your skin. Just focus on what makes you happy. It's the power of positive thinking. I use it when I go down on my spirals, and it helps take me out of them. Negativity creates a vicious loop of more negativity. Positivity creates a loop of positivity. It's a win," he advises.

I close my eyes and try to think of what makes me happy. My parents make me happy when they're home. It makes us feel like a family again. Nature makes me happy. It gives me a breath of fresh air and lets me get space. It's also beautiful. Jay makes me happy. He listens to me and is funny and sweet.

"Hey Jay."

He adjusts his hair in the mirror,"Yeah?"

"Do you want to join my volunteer work club? I'm the only member, and I tried to kickstart it last year, but Harumi went around and tore down all the posters," I ask him. For the past year, I've been doing all the service projects by myself. It keeps my hands busy, but it's boring sometimes.

"Of course. It sounds fun. Plus, colleges love that type of stuff," he glances at his phone. "Is there anything this weekend?"

"I'm going to a local park to help plant more trees," I inform him.

A big smile breaks out on his face. "That's such a you thing. I'm going to tell my mom so she doesn't plan a fun project then."

"How did the last one go?"

"Terrible," he laughs, "I got the parts, but no matter what we did, it didn't work, so we scrapped it."

"Can I swing by your place some time to look for some pieces? I'm trying to fix this one motor but I can't find the certain type of screw I need."

"Of course."

---

Skylor's POV

I walk to our lunch table with heavy dread. I've been ignoring Kai all day, and now there's no escape at all. He tried to talk to me after second period, but I walked right past him. I was hoping he wouldn't remember the party because he was super drunk, but he obviously does.

We made out. We made out for a long time too, and I liked it. I don't want to like it. I sure as hell don't want to like him, especially after what the other girls said. He has a nice list of girls he's used in between being with Harumi, and he drops them once she comes back to him. I'd be dumb to fall into that trap.

When I reach the lunch table, there's an awkward silence. Morro is snickering to himself, and Griffin joins in, enjoying the show. Harumi and Chamille are glaring at me. Kai looks at me longingly. Cole stares off into the distance at the empty tree where Nya usually sits, and Mackenzie stares at Cole.

"Someone took her sweet time getting here," Harumi huffs at me.

Kai glares at her before turning to me,"We need to talk."

"Then why not do it in front of everyone?" she suggests to him.

He just rolls his eyes, standing up. He gestures for me to follow him, so I do. We walk to the edge of the quad, out of their sight.

"Look Kai..." I start, but he cuts me off.

"I really, really like you Skylor. Saturday night just confirmed everything I already knew," he announces to me.

I sigh. "You don't like me Kai. You've known me for almost two and a half weeks. You like my body, not me. You don't know me."

When I tell him this, his face drops. To my knowledge, this is the first time a girl has turned him down, and he's obviously not believing it. He just looks confused.

"But I do Skylor. I drove you home every day since your first cheer practice. I walk with you to class every day. We text, and the Skylor I'm seeing is someone I really like," he gives me big, pleading eyes.

"See, we're in the phase of starting to get to know each other, not knowing each other," I inform him.

"But that's what dating is for. You should still be getting to know someone when you're going on dates. Then, both of you assess whether or not you want to be together," he tries to explain to me.

"You're a nice guy, Kai, but I don't see you in that way right now. You're my friend, a great one at that, but I don't want to take it any further," I turn him down.

His face crumbles. "Then why did you make out with me at my party?"

"Because that's what you do at parties. You get drunk and have fun. I was drunk and having fun, no more, no less," I readjust my ponytail. He's baffled.

"Please Skylor, just one date to try it out," he pleads, starting to get on my nerves.

"Kai, I see the type of guy you are. You're the type of guy who strings along girls you see as easy targets so you can use them while your main girl doesn't want you. Then as soon as she wants you, you leave whatever girl you're with and come crawling back. I'm not going to be an easy target."

The pain on his face amplifies "who told you that?"

"I can see it on you. I still want to be friends Kai. I just don't want to be more than that," I explain in a more soft voice since he looks really upset.

"Okay," he sighs, taking a large breath out,"we should head back now."

The two of us walk back in suffocating silence. The gap between us is large, and Kai is only looking down at his shoes. I feel bad, and there is a large part of me that wanted to take him up on his offer, but I couldn't. I don't want to get played.

As soon as we get back, Kai turns to Cole,"We're going on a walk." The two of them get up and walk away. Harumi looks at me expectedly.

"So what happened?"

"I told him I wasn't interested. He took it hard, but he'll get over it," I explain. All of the girls looked shocked.

Harumi squeals and gives me a big hug,"I am so proud of you."

Even with that reassurance, I sit for the rest of lunch pondering if I made the right decision.

A/N: yeah this one is a biiiit shorter than the last but oh well; these short chapters are needed

Sorry it took me a bit of time to publish it, it's reached the point where I reeeaaaallly miss my boyfriend and since it just got announced that we have another month with social distancing I crashed yesterday. It went from two weeks to another month at least

I'm going to try to update more though. It'll help keep me distracted 

Thoughts on this chapter?